How Metal is Archaeological Theory?

METALBINFORD

Let me begin by addressing the students of the Applied Archaeology program – don’t let anyone scare you out of Dr. Phil’s seminar. Because it rules. The class is theory-heavy, but the first day of class involved discussion of tall, tongue-rolling, Vulcans. Just sayin.

For my next trick, I will clarify some confusing archaeological typology terms using heavy metal music.

As I struggle once more through the fiery depths of archaeological theory in Dr. Phil’s seminar – the metal gods shine light upon dense articles by Brew, Steward and Setzler, McKern, Krieger, Willey and Phillips, Ford, Spaulding, and Binford. If you’ve been forced to familiarize yourself with these names before, grisly images of death and destruction may come to mind as well as the great typology debate – fought across peer-reviewed journal lines. A long winded battle, where “the screams of anguished authors who fear[ed] that their brain children [were] being murdered by reviewers” could be heard ringing through the notes and comments of American Antiquity and American Anthropologist in the early 1950s (Ford 1954).

As we stage dive into the history of typology in archaeology, and before you start banging your head against your desk – I know, theory can be brutal. But Willey and Phillips actually started to make sense to me after I applied the terminology to heavy metal typology.  And it offered some real life advice: define your freaking terminology, people. Clearly.

Maybe this is TMI, but this past week as I was wading through the OkCupid dating scene – the old typology debate popped back into my head. (Yup, this is how my brain works…) More specifically, the advice that Willey and Phillips so wordily conveyed about the importance of defining your freaking terminology. I had many-a-conversation with dungeon masters and metal-heads alike over what metal bands they prefer over others.

Now, I am the first one to admit – I suck at metal typology. Going into this – I had no idea where hair metal stopped and thrash metal began. And I figured out why this is so confusing. Nobody knows what the heck they are talking about. And when one person says ‘black metal’ the other person has a completely different idea of what that means. One man’s death-doom is another man’s stoner-metal. Not one of these people, including myself could define the attributes of any one sub-genre of heavy metal. This made for very confusing conversation.

So I looked to the nerds of Wikipedia – because only they would devote so much time to writing the specific attributes of heavy metal sub-genres. (Ian Christe, Robert Walser, Garry Sharpe-Young, and Paul Du Noyer are some folks who have written about the evolution of metal and other genres of music.)

This is what I came up with (CLICK TO ENLARGE!):

metal typology

The chart describes types of heavy metal, complete with the attributes that define those types, and a few examples of those types. For instance, thrash can be distinguished by overall aggression, fast percussive beats, low register guitar riffs, and overlaid shredding – think Slayer and Megadeth. (Hahahaha – ‘overlaid shredding’ is a great attribute!)

Willey and Phillips’ discussions from their book, Method and Theory in Archaeology use the term ‘archaeology units’ instead of the word ‘type’ in an effort to keep definitions clear (Willey and Phillips 1958). Some of these terms are still used today and with similar meaning. So lets look at this in terms of our ‘metal units’ laid out in the above chart. According to Willey and Phillips’ terminology, our metal units would be considered traditions. Traditions are found across time, with a persistent configuration of technology, where specific elements are continuous. Where some attributes are shared among the separate units, they contrast enough to be separate entities and some occur at slightly later periods in time than others. So the traditions of heavy metal from the chart include hair metal, thrash, power metal, death metal, black metal, doom, and stoner metal. Stemming from the tradition of thrash, death metal emerges. The tradition of death metal is exemplified by heavy distortion, low tuned guitars, minor keys, key and time changes, and deep growling vocals. (These attributes are hilarious.)

This distinction of metal music is in contrast with the concept of the horizon. Horizons spread across space rapidly and are temporally similar – meaning they appear only in a short period of time and then disappear. This could be better likened to dance crazes as Dr. Phil so eloquently described and then nimbly demonstrated by doing ‘The Freddy.’ Look it up. Other examples include such favorites as The Watusi, The Electric Slide, and The Macarena. Points to you if you know all three.

So there you have it – archaeological theory applied to metal typology. I think this means I win. Maybe next week we can discuss the phases and sub-phases of prog rock and fusion.

PS

Keep your eyes peeled for the new archaeology department T-shirts, designed by yours truly. I’ll be ordering those at some point in February. Also – if there is want for repeats of last years T-Shirt, let me know. I need to order at least 10 for a reprint.

Metal Munsells:

Dude’s hair from Iron Maiden album, Killers: 5Y 7/8

Blood from Cannibal Corpse album, Butchered at Birth: 10R 4/8

Background of Witchcraft album, The Alchemist: 5Y 8/2

References Cited

Ford, James A.

1954 ‘Letter, “Spaulding’s Review of Ford,” American Anthropologist 56:109-112.

Willey, Gordon R,  Philip Phillips

1958 Method and Theory in American Archaeology. University of Chicago Press, Chicago.

This entry was posted in Musings.

80 comments to How Metal is Archaeological Theory?

1. James C. Marin says:

I advice you to post this article in Facebook so that many interested people can see it. And you can always use the services of https://viplikes.net/ to increase number of likes.

2. DataBank says:

Nice to be seeing your site once again, it’s been weeks for me. This article which ive been waited for so long. I need this guide to complete my mission inside the school, and it’s same issue together along with your essay. Thanks, pleasant share.
    Data Science training in Bangalore

3. Data Science Course in Faridabad - 360DigiTMG says:

Stupendous blog huge applause to the blogger and hoping you to come up with such an extraordinary content in future. Surely, this post will inspire many aspirants who are very keen in gaining the knowledge. Expecting many more contents with lot more curiosity further.

data science course in faridabad

4. james stephens says:

Our writers will complete a great speech for you to impress the graduates, friends, faculty, and the rest of the stadium. If you have an honor of delivering a graduation speech, you should be well prepared. And we’ll help you with that. With our professional help, this experience will be unforgettable. Trust your speech to the write my essay team of professionals and you will never regret it. We’ll do our best to provide you with an excellent work that meets all standards. Quick help from skillful writers is guaranteed!

5. Bhagyashri Kadam says:

It is a great pleasure to read your message. It’s full of information I’m looking for and love to post a comment that says “The content of your post is amazing”. Excellent work.
    Python course in Ahmednagar
    Python classes in Ahmednagar
    Python training in Ahmednagar

6. Priya Chaudhary says:

Priya Chaudhary Label is online designer clothing store to buy Kurti/Kurta, tops, shirts, dresses, pants, palazzos, dupattas, pajama, kaftans & mask for Women

7. Keith Allen says:

Allied Paralegal Services is a licensed paralegal with the Law Society of Ontario, offering a wide range of legal assistance to our clients. Backed by years of experience and exhaustive knowledge, we provide the favorable results you come looking for.
    Paralegal Near me

8. course training says:

What a really awesome post this is. Truly, one of the best posts I’ve ever witnessed to see in my whole life. Wow, just keep it up.
    best data science institute in hyderabad

9. Artificial Intelligence Course in Delhi says:

Hi, I looked at most of your posts. This article is probably where I got the most useful information for my research. Thanks for posting, we can find out more about this. Do you know of any other websites on this topic?
    Artificial Intelligence Course in Delhi

10. Data Science Course in Varanasi - 360DigiTMG says:

Tremendous blog quite easy to grasp the subject since the content is very simple to understand. Obviously, this helps the participants to engage themselves in to the subject without much difficulty. Hope you further educate the readers in the same manner and keep sharing the content as always you do.

data science course in varanasi

11. Data Science Course in Varanasi - 360DigiTMG says:

Wonderful blog found to be very impressive to come across such an awesome blog. I should really appreciate the blogger for the efforts they have put in to develop such an amazing content for all the curious readers who are very keen of being updated across every corner. Ultimately, this is an awesome experience for the readers. Anyways, thanks a lot and keep sharing the content in future too.

data science course in varanasi

12. Sylar Lucas says:

Well, good case studies are a reflection of high logic, good analysis, experience of business scenarios and expertise in citing facts to support your points. That all may take time. Our online case study help comprising of Phd Experts, all of whose logic and analytical abilities are beyond match, has been delivering perfect case study papers

13. UniNets says:

This is the very new topic I found to read. Really I loved your contents. Very informative post.
    Visit us: UniNets

14. Jitendra Kumar says:

very interesting post Mr. Cherilyn. Thanks for sharing this informative post. Keep sharing such a good and related post.
    Visit us: F5 load balancer course

15. manukutti says:

Data science course with placement in hyderabad

Become a Data Science Expert with us.Study Data Science Course in Hyderabad with Innomatics where you get a great experience and better knowledge.

16. Jessica Jones says:

Ask for assistance to the experts of Student Life Saviour at affordable rates.

17. joseph says:

Australian Assignment Help has quality experts to provide assignment assistance in Australia at affordable prices.

18. princika sweety says:

I want to leave a little comment to support and wish you the best of luck.we wish you the best of luck in all your blogging enedevors

19. take my online exam says:

A student has to learn multitasking because education nowadays has become a race. You will have to perform your level best in a lot of assignments, assessments and extra-curricular activities as well, if you want to be an all-rounder. Even if you do not aspire to be an all-rounder and just want a cool and considerate academic life you will have to do the same things. Because, literally every student is trying their level best to achieve heights. So, missing deadlines and not finishing homework is not an option today. If due to extra work pressure, or sudden illness or any other genuine reason you think that “I need to pay someone to do my homework”, go ahead and hire an expert. There is nothing bad din doing so.

20. take my online exam says:

A student has to learn multitasking because education nowadays has become a race. You will have to perform your level best in a lot of take my online exam, assessments and extra-curricular activities as well, if you want to be an all-rounder. Even if you do not aspire to be an all-rounder and just want a cool and considerate academic life you will have to do the same things. Because, literally every student is trying their level best to achieve heights. So, missing deadlines and not finishing homework is not an option today. If due to extra work pressure, or sudden illness or any other genuine reason you think that “I need to take my online exam”, go ahead and hire an expert. There is nothing bad din doing so.

21. wilson valance says:

The secret for student success lies in the material you use for learning.Try Goulds Pathophysiology For The Health Professions 5th Edition Test Bank and feel the difference.

22. wilson valance says:

You can find Lehnes Pharmacology For Nursing Care 9th Edition Test Bank online in pdf/word format. Avail instant assistance for issues 24/7. There is no waiting time!

23. wilson valance says:

Getting Strategic Management Concepts Competitiveness And Globalization 12th Edition Test Bank is easier than ever with our exclusive collection of testbanks and solution manuals online.

24. wilson valance says:

Do not waste countless hours on your college assignments anymore. Get Wongs Essentials Of Pediatric Nursing 10th Edition Test Bank and work smart with better results.

25. allassignmenthelp says:

You will soon a lot of genuine options to try. Share your allassignmenthelp prerequisites with them and they will provide you with solutions as soon as you want. Do not fall prey to anti-social elements in the digital world while trying to gain assistance. Be wise and choose your service assignment help provider patiently.

26. john miller says:

avail the best essay writer service and get 24*7 assistance by our experts. plagiarism free content at affordable price.

27. Omprakash Chaudhary says:

I am social worker & Ex-Councillor Candidate in Khanpur Ward 81-S & true believer that one can change this nation for better by inspiring others .

Visit To more Info: Om Prakash Chaudhary Delhi