Class Discussion!

This week’s class was fun and interesting. I recognized many of the artists and songs we listened to and learned a lot of new things I didn’t know. I didn’t know these popular dance songs I liked were Motown songs. Motown’s musical style is blended with R&B and pop with many girl groups and ballads such as the Marvellettes, the Miracles, Martha and the Vandellas, the Temptations, and the Supremes. As I was listening to many of these artists, I just get the feeling of wanting to dance even if it’s a slow song. So many aspects come together to make it great music…the instruments, the group working together, their passion, the beat. They are catchy and upbeat songs and other songs are soft and laid back. Also looking and listening to these songs it just makes you realize how different music is today and it is nothing close to this (for the most part). They dressed nicely and focused on the music. Now, the more outrageous and eccentric, “the better.”

In class we also talked about Bob Dylan. I thought the two videos we watched about him were interesting. The first video he was on a plain stage. It wasn’t well put together and people were all around him. He stood in one spot and played acoustic guitar and a harmonica. The second video the background looked more concert like. It was dark with lights on him. He was playing electric guitar and moved around the stage. It was an interesting transition from acoustic to electric.

Lastly, I just wanted to mention James Brown. The video we watched was him performing his song “Please please please” As I was listening to it, I didn’t expect him to scream. Then as it kept going, he kept doing it over and over again. I was kind of surprised people liked that. The crowd went crazy over him though! I think maybe the reason I thought that people wouldn’t like it that much is because I listen to a lot of rock, heavy rock, metal, and I know a lot of people don’t like when they scream or yell. I do think his video was entertaining to watch and he had a good voice. I also thought it was hilarious when you imitated him. Aaaaaaahhhh!