Country!

Not that long ago I could not stand country music. Every time it would come on the radio I would start making noises as if I were in pain or change it as fast as I could. If I was shopping somewhere, with friends, parents, whoever…and country music came on I would immediately look at them and say, “We need to LEAVE!” Of course I was not that serious about it, just joking around but I really did not like country music. I think the reason was that I just heard Taylor Swift all the time. Her music was played constantly and it still is today (she’s more pop than country today). My outlook on country music completely changed a few years ago when I heard “Cruise” on the radio. Cruise is by a band called Florida Georgia Line. They are the first country band and country songs I really liked. Some people say they are “way too country” and they can’t believe I listen to them but I absolutely love their music. My fiancé was really into rap music and sometimes rock but he would never listen to country either. Now, I can’t help but laugh because when we are in the car not only does he listen to country music but he knows more songs than I do and sings along to them! We went to our first country concert last summer at the Clearfield Country Fair, to see Florida Georgia Line. I’ve been to several concerts before, pop concerts, rock concerts, etc. but they were not like this one. My fiancé has not been to many concerts, just to a few rock concerts with me but we both had the same thoughts about the crowd and atmosphere at this concert. There was a great deal of people dressed “country” and MOST people around us were drinking beer. Before the show even started too many people were too drunk to even stand up. They were acting crazy and not caring what they did, not caring if they bumped into you, or if you saw what they were doing. It is like that at other concerts too but you kind of just had to be there to feel the difference. The concert and the music was great. They sound exactly like they do on their cds. They are very talented and entertaining. Anyway, the country songs we listened to in class were not the kind of country songs I would listen to particularly but they were okay. Some of them were really meaningful and I like that about songs. I think some country songs are actually really sad. One of the great aspects about some country music is that it does have real emotion, real meaning, or great dance/party music. They aren’t all about beer, girls, or trucks. Now that I think about it, I actually listened to quite a few country songs when I was younger. I had one of the Dixie Chicks albums and had mixed cds with country songs on it that my aunt made me. I do think people should give country music a chance like I did (listen to Florida Georgia Line!!!!) There are some very unique voices, cool electric and acoustic guitar playing, and interesting lyrics. I found some artists and songs I really like and I think they could too. I never thought I would like it so much!