Budapest Semesters in Mathematics

Spend part of your undergraduate studies in Budapest. Learn mathematics from leading Hungarian scholars—in English.

CHC senior Derek Hanely just participated in this program.  Here is what he had to say:

This past summer, I had the opportunity to study mathematics in one of Europe’s most important cultural centers– Budapest. While abroad, I partook in an intensive Hungarian language course, and under the tutelage of renowned Hungarian professors, I learned some combinatorics and abstract algebra. While it may sound cliche, this trip truly was the most beneficial and influential experience of my life. The mathematics aside, this experience taught me how to effectively communicate with individuals who do not speak my native language, it provided me with a more holistic understanding of international relations, and I developed a significantly deeper appreciation for foreign culture. You really cannot understand how beneficial it can be to put yourself out of your comfort zone until you give it a try. Learning your discipline in a country in which you do not speak the language really forces you to develop new skills, and you ultimately come out a more informed and better individual.

This experience along with my internship at NASA IV&V last summer has been pivotal in assisting me along the rather challenging path of choosing my future career. Both have opened my eyes to the possibilities that await after graduation, and they’ve given me confidence in my ability. Internships, study abroads, and undergraduate research are the experiences that make a college experience fulfilling and meaningful, and I’d encourage every student to consider participating in at least one of those if possible.

http://www.budapestsemesters.com/

Hungary has a long tradition of excellence in mathematics education. However, because of the language barrier, students have not been able to take advantage of the skill and dedication of the mathematics faculties of Hungarian universities.

Initiated by Paul Erdős, László Lovasz, and Vera T. Sós, the program Budapest Semesters in Mathematics (BSM) provides a unique opportunity for North American undergraduates. Through this program, mathematics and computer science majors in their junior/senior years may spend fall, spring or summer semester in Budapest and study under the tutelage of eminent Hungarian scholar-teachers. The instructors of BSM are members of Eötvös University, the Mathematical Institute of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, and Budapest University of Technology and Economics, the three institutions known for having educated more than half of Hungary’s highly acclaimed mathematicians. Most instructors have had teaching experience in North America and are familiar with the cultural differences.

• All courses are taught in English.
  • Classes are small.
  • Credits are transferable to North American colleges and universities.
  • The school is near the center of historic Budapest.
  • Living costs are modest.

Fall semester starts the first week of September, spring semester first week in February, and summer semester third week in June. An optional intensive language course is offered about two weeks before regular semester classes begin (not available for the summer semester). Early applications are encouraged. Qualified applicants will be accepted to participate in the program on a rolling basis once their applications are complete.

Deadlines for applications are as follows:

• Fall semester: April 1
  • Spring semester: October 15
  • Summer semester: March 1

Tuition for 2015-2016 is $10,695 per semester or $21,390 for the entire year.

The tuition for the 2015 Summer program is $4,195

To Apply

To apply for Budapest Semester in Mathematics, click on to this link: APPLY NOW. If you have any questions, please contact the North American Office at budapestsemesters@gmail.com or 1-507-786-3114.