Tuition Pricing Flexibility Pilot Program

The Board of Governors of Pennsylvania’s State System of Higher Education approved the Tuition Pricing Flexibility Pilot program for Indiana University of Pennsylvania on Jan. 22, 2015. It will be effective for the fall 2015 semester.

The pilot program was developed as part of a three-pronged approach to address current and future budget challenges at IUP. The additional revenues generated by this plan will be used to maintain IUP’s commitment to offering outstanding academics and the desire to provide incentives to students with financial need and who demonstrate good academic progress.

Under the new tuition pricing structure, resident undergraduate students (students who domicile in Pennsylvania) will be billed for tuition on a per-credit-hour basis.

This per-credit tuition charge pilot program will be phased in over three years and includes discounts of 7 percent, 4 percent, and 1 percent over the next three years of the new plan.

This new tuition pricing structure includes two new programs that provide financial support to qualified resident undergraduate students (who domicile in Pennsylvania): one that is need-based and the other that serves as an incentive for students to maintain academic success.

This pricing model replaces the past resident undergraduate pricing structure which charged a flat rate for full-time students who were enrolled in 12 to 17.9 credits. It brings IUP in line with higher education institutions across the nation and several in the State System which calculate tuition charges on a per-credit-hour basis.

The frequently asked questions below address the new per-credit tuition model for resident undergraduate students.

What does “phased in” mean? What are the discounts for students?

Are there any programs available providing financial support to students in conjunction with this new model?

Who qualifies for the need-based program?

Do I need to apply for this need-based program?

Who qualifies for the Academic Success Initiative?

Do I need to apply for the Academic Success Initiative?

What does “per-credit tuition” model mean?

I am a Pennsylvania resident (domicile in Pennsylvania) undergraduate student entering my senior year of college. Will this tuition plan affect me?

I am an out-of-state undergraduate student who receives a reduced tuition rate because I live in Maryland. Will this per-credit tuition plan affect me?

Currently, the full-time undergraduate tuition rate stayed the same if I was taking 12 or 15 credit hours. What will the tuition cost increase be under this program if I take 15 credits?

I am a Pennsylvania resident (domicile in Pennsylvania) student taking a combination of undergraduate and graduate course work. How will my tuition costs be calculated?

Does this new per-credit pricing change the way I’m billed for fees?

I’m a dual enrollment student. Will this tuition charge per credit hour affect what I pay for tuition?

What office do I call for more information about my bill?