A Chip (or Crack) off the Ol’ Glass

When out on glass collecting expeditions and come across some that will display another concerning problem. Most of them were probably used before we find them. Throughout their use, they could have developed chips or cracks in them. Even if the previous owner took good care of them, they could still end up in this condition. These are considered defects and lower the value of the glass.

Difficulties will arise depending on the situation. For example, let’s say it is the last glass needed to complete a set. Or it could be one that is rare. In both cases, it is the one we’re definitely searching for. So, what would you do? Buy them or leave them?

Both solutions are dependent on what the case is. Buy it, but be aware that it won’t sell for the market price as a good-condition glass. Then again, passing it up and keep searching to find one of better quality is an option; remember, the hunt is part of the fun. However, we may not see another glass like it.

Notice the small chip on the upper, inside rim of the mentioned glass.

I recommend using your own judgment to decide to purchase one or not. I believe that if it’s a very small chip with minimal damage to the glass itself, then it’s safe to buy at a reasonable price. I try to stay away from cracks. There was one time at a flea market that I found a L.U.N. Sylvester the Cat with a small chip for only fifty cents. There was no way I was going to pass it up. Even if I couldn’t get full price later, I know I can get more out of it than I paid. It would make a nice starter glass for the beginner.

What solution would you recommend for this problem? You can type your answers below in the comments section by clicking on “Leave a reply.”

Don’t forget to like, share, and subscribe to this blog to stay up-to-date.

What glass collecting problems do you want to be solved or discussed? You can post your questions below and I may answer it in my next blog post!