Medical Gear

This is the piece of equipment that most people elect not to carry. There could be a couple of reasons for this, but I think my explanation is justified. All of the other items that are included in my EDC are pretty cool to have. They are fun to use, and cool to own. Medical gear is a little bit different. It is the one item that you are most likely to use to save someone’s life, yet people still chose not to carry it. The odds of having to provide aid to a person is far greater than having to shoot someone.

One of the reasons individuals won’t carry it is that it can be large. The one item that I will always have with me as part of my medical gear is a tourniquet. The one I carry is about seven inches long. It isn’t very pocket friendly, but I make due with it. There isn’t anything flashy about carrying it, and hopefully I’ll never have to use it.

Another reason people chose not to carry medical equipment is the mentality behind it. Nobody wants to imagine themselves, or a loved one getting hurt. Thats a harsh reality that is in fact a reality. If you have to use your firearm, or get involved in another altercation, the likelihood of yourself getting hurt is real. I’m under the impression that if you’re willing to put holes in something, then you should be able to patch them up. Like I said earlier, it is the most likely item in my EDC that will save a life. I can’t predict what situation I may find myself in, but I can take precautions to my environments.

A final reason is a lack of training. Training is a big part of my life because it can mean life or death. Knowing how to use gear is important, but knowing when to use it is even more beneficial. Sometimes you can do more good than bad, and can be liable for certain actions. There are laws that will protect you for trying to do the right thing, however there are no certainties. My evolution of carrying medical gear has come a far way over the past two years, and the biggest step came because of training. It was a huge gap in my applications of medical equipment, but training helped that. I feel comfortable applying various types of medical tasks to myself or others, but I am no expert, and will continue to seek help.

So what do I do?

As I stated above, at the bare minimum I carry a tourniquet. I’m issued a CAT tourniquet at work, which I also choose to have on me outside of work. This is simply because to have consistency, and it’s easy to use. The one thing that I did was built my own medical kit. I wanted something small, but something that could have the essentials. There are many companies that specialize in this very field. I researched and found what I needed. A pouch from ITS Tactical to carry everything. It is about the size of a wallet, but thickness depends on the items inside. The other items I put in it is what I think I may encounter in my day to day life. I don’t have any medical problems, but I know people around me might. This is why I carry simple medications like Tylenol and Aspirin. I have a CPR face shield because I am certified in CPR, and if I find myself in that scenario, I want some protection for myself. I carry bandages, and other small items for the little stuff. The last piece I included is a trauma kit to stop major bleeding. I feel comfortable with these items in my life. We live in a world where a medical center is always close, so I think I have enough equipment to help until first responders show up. I work in a hospital yet still choose to carry a tourniquet for a number of reasons. The training I’ve had has also told me this. My medical EDC will continue to change over the years, but is something I won’t draw myself short on.

One other idea to consider is having multiple kits in various locations. Think of the “hotspots” where you may need a medical kit, or places where you spend a majority of your time. A vehicle is a must so I have an larger kit in my truck, which deals with trauma. I put another kit in my range bag in case of an accident. I don’t expect others to save me, or the people around me, therefore I want the power in my lane. It’d be interesting to hear what others carry, and their mindset on this boring topic.