Monday June 26th, 2017

Are you being professional in the workplace?

I don’t mean professional as in manners and being respectful. That should be understood without say. I’m writing today about professionalism specifically for people trying to reach out to higher up people in their field, and that correct approach to take to get in touch with them.

Let me give you a little context:

I have a few contacts that work for the Pittsburgh Pirates, and I’ve talked to them about the possibility of asking one of their fellow co-workers to meet me, so that I could express to him my interest for the exact field he is in. A simple meeting is all I am seeking, in order to make a networking connection and to have for later on down the line for career guidance because of his known name in the industry. He formally worked for the Altoona Curve, the same organization I’m an intern with now.

In my opinion, I took a professional approach in getting him my contact information by sending the contacts I do have in the Pirates organization my resume and a cover letter. This is just so the person I would like to meet could have a quick background of myself. You cannot find this persons’ email or contact info on the Pirates website, so sending my information and having him reach out to me at his convenience seemed like the most professional approach to me. Maybe I’m wrong.

However, today my fellow intern with the Altoona Curve blatantly called the Pirates box office asking for this persons contact information. I had not told my fellow intern that I was working towards meeting this person because I believe this industry is about who you know and who you meet, so I was keeping my networking silent. Anyway, so my fellow intern called the Pirates box office asking for this persons contact information without sending this guy any sort of information about himself. Seemed a little “pushy” to me.

My question for you the reader is, how would you approach getting to meet someone in your field of interest who’s at a higher level than you? Is my fellow intern being too “pushy?” Did I approach it the correct way?

BE YOURSELF, DREAM, and CREATE!