Blog 9

This will be my last blog post of the semester. I have found these blogs to be very helpful in my learning experience of the history popular culture music. They have given me something to look back on and study for multiple exams. It is also nice and helpful to read other students blog posts, it is great to be able to see other peoples insight on varieties of different songs and genres. For my last post, I think it is appropriate to change direction and head toward my musical roots and interest. Todays final post will be covering Rap & Hip-Hop. There are a several different artists to choose from in this genre that I am familiar with and that have been presented in class for the final presentation’s but, I am going to cover Eminem. I choose to cover Eminem for a number of different reasons, but the main one because I personally feel that he is one of the most talented music artists of my generation. Ā has paved the way for a lot of current and future artists in a variety of different ways. His music is deep, and comes from a very personal part of his own experiences that almost everyone can relate to in one way or another. This genre of music was developed in my beloved country the United States by inner city African Americans in the 1970’s. The genre consists of stylized rhythmic music that commonly accompanies rapping, a rhythmic and rhyming speech that is chanted. Coming from Christian’s presentation it is said that Hip-Hop in the previous decade has had a relatively narrow focus. It would consistently cover problems such as drugs, violence and living in poverty. Something that is commonly seen in the inner cities of the United States. Old School Hip-Hop was very influential in the development of this genre, and was said to be very “raw and real” The basis of the music was meant to send a message of hope for change in the discrimination of African Americans and others suffering from the struggles in inner cities. Eminem is a very talented and misunderstood rapper. He had a very rough upbringingā€¦ His fat he left him at birth and his mother suffered from a mental illness. He was forced to live in poverty and had very little positive role models or influences in his life. He turned to music as a source of relief and to get away from the harsh reality. One of the main reasons he is so well respected is because he actually came from a rough upbringing and was able to his emotions into words and song that would eventually catch attention of Dr. Dre. The rest is history he became very successful and always keeps it real with his culture and background. He inspires a lot of musicians, and one thing that is sort of unique about him was that was he is white, and not many white rappers get a lot of respect from the predominately African American audience or other rappers in this genre.