Blog 6

Welcome back Blog fam, Im sure a lot of you have work to do this week and before finals week starts, but I hope you have the time to take a few moments and view a few of my new and upcoming blog posts! For this post I am going to be talking about my personal opinion on one of the megastars from the 1980’s. This specific prompt was appealing to me, but it is very difficult to choose which megastar from the 1980’s to cover. There a lot of megastars that came out of the 1980’s. There are also a lot artists during this time period that made a huge impact on future artists in the 1990’s to current. Being a 1990’s baby the 1980’s was as far back in pop music culture as I went previous to taking this class. I am going to give my opinion on Michael Jackson or as some people refer to him as “The King of Pop”. In my opinion, Michael Jackson is the “King of Pop” for a variety of different reasons. He came onto scene in a crazy, flashy, and unique way. He began his music career being the youngest member of the Jackson 5. The funny part about being the youngest member in the group was that he was the main focal point of their group and performances. Michael Jackson has a unique personality and voice that could never be replicated. I found it cool that Michael has been through a lot of adversity throughout his entire life and still was able to become successful and follow his dream. It shows everyone that you can overcome anything if you stay strong and put your mind to it. His father abused his as a young child, and while he was being abused he still was able to put on a happy face, go on stage and perform with a huge smile and special voice that crowds love. It was adversity like that which made Michael Jackson who was until the end of his life. One difficulty came after another during Michaels life but he wouldn’t let it get between his love for music, his fans and loved ones. He faced drug addiction over the years, which would eventually catch up with him and end his life. He faced scrutiny from fans and other people for his skin color changing, and several plastic surgeries. Quincy Jones once said ” He obviously didn’t want to be black…You see his kids?”, this is a terrible thing to say to someone. That statement had to hurt. Michael faced several other difficulties in life such as child abuse allegations, which all of which could have had detrimental effects on his musical career but MJ wouldn’t allow that to stop him from doing what he loved. That is one of the main reasons I believe he is the best megastar of his time and possibly ever. Other reasons were his tremendous ability to perform and evoke emotion out of the his fans and crowds. He was a great dancer and entertaining to watch, it is in a way funny to watch his moves now because of how performances and music videos have evolved throughout time. He is one of the main attributers to the success of music videos and MTV. Until Michael Jackson, MTV would only show white artists, but after his “Thriller” video came out MTV really had no choice but to allow African American artists to join the movement. Well, that is unless they wanted to fall behind in the times, and profits. Overall, I could talk about Michael Jackson and his life for hours, he is without a doubt one of the most successful artists of all time and paved the way for pop culture and African Americans in the music industry. There will never be another MJ.