The Most Useful Tools for Cosplay

Building cosplays can be complex. You need some different tools for any cosplay build.  These are the three things that I find the most useful when building my cosplays.

Hot glue gun. I cannot stress enough how useful hot glue is.  It will save your life 1000 times over.  For my Oogie Boogie cosplay I ended up glueing the burlap together, because it was easier than sewing it together.  It can be used as a quick fix before a convention as well. It can even be used to add details to an outfit or prop. A friend of mine made an amazing staff by using hot glue for the details. From building, to details, to a quick save hot glue can do it all.

A sewing machine. If you want to make your own cosplay, you need a sewing machine.  You can use other methods to create costumes, but a sewing machine is the best. Hand sewing a costume takes forever, and the stitching is much looser. Hot glue pulls apart easier than sewing does. For intricate dresses and even simple shirts or pants, a sewing machine is a must have for cosplay.

Dremel rotary tool. The Dremel is essential if you’re building cosplay armour out of EVA foam. The Dremel is important for sanding down edges of EVA foam. It can also be used to give the EVA foam a particular shape. You could use sand paper, but the rotary tool is much faster. The Dremel can also be used to put details into the EVA foam. You can put bolt/screw details as well as a pronounced woodgrain effect.

There are a lot of different tools that are used in cosplay. The three that I find the most useful are a hot glue gun, a sewing machine, and a Dremel rotary tool. What tools do you think are useful when making a cosplay? If you’d like to read more about cartoons, cosplay, media, and more, then subscribe to Media Mania.