How to Pick a Cosplay

Picking a cosplay can seem like a daunting task. You love so many different characters, and you want to portray them all. It seems impossible to narrow it down to one, but it doesn’t have to be. Here’s how I pick what character to cosplay next.

Passion. What show or movie are you most passionate about? Love for a character is a big driving factor in how I choose my cosplays. You’ll have so much more fun when you cosplay something that you’re really passionate about.  When I cosplayed Lady Rainicorn I couldn’t wait to wear the cosplay around.  I had so much love for the show and the character, and it made wearing it better.  I highly recommend that you choose a character that you’re passionate about.

Price. How much can you spend on a cosplay? If you can only spend $50 then I don’t recommend attempting anything with a giant ballgown. If your budget is lower, then you should pick a less complex design.  If you’re making your own cosplay, then there are ways to save money. If you plan to buy your cosplay, then something less complex is probably better.  Price is a big deciding factor for me in choosing a cosplay.  I don’t have the money to spend hundreds of dollars on a cosplay, so I choose one that I think can be accomplished within by budget.

Comfort. Would you be comfortable wearing that cosplay? If you absolutely despise wearing dresses, then you probably shouldn’t cosplay a Disney Princess (except maybe Mulan). You should feel comfortable in whatever cosplay you’re wearing. If you don’t like to show off all of your skin, then don’t pick a cosplay that requires it.  Feeling comfortable as a character is just as important as liking the character is.  One example that stands out to me is crosplay (cosplaying as a character of a different gender). I personally don’t mind cosplaying outside of my own gender, but other people don’t like crosplaying. If you don’t think you’ll feel comfortable as a character, then it might not be the best choice for a cosplay.

There are so many incredible characters out there, and it’s so hard to pick just one to cosplay.  I make my cosplay decisions based on passion, price, and comfort. How do you decide what to cosplay next? If you’d like to read more about cartoons, cosplay, media, and more, then subscribe to Media Mania.