Beginning Your Collection

The first problem anyone will have when beginning a glass collection is what to buy. There are many types out there. There are a variety of designs on each, and similar designs can be placed into sets. There are also some that are very rare, thus valuable. So, the question that every beginner has is, “What should I collect?”

A few from my own collection.

The first obstacle has already been stated. The designs on each glass can range from animated cartoon characters to zoo animals. There are football team logos and even a list of horses that won the Belmont Stakes. Another problem is that we wouldn’t know if what we’re looking at is valuable, due to its rarity, or not. This would lead us to do research, which could be long and exhaustive.

One solution that one may use to overcome this is to start doing research. While it does take up time, it is the best way to learn more about glasses: series, hard-to-find ones, prices, and the different glassmaking companies. Knowing this type of information would enable us to search smartly, what to expect, and look for when beginning the hunt.

My solution is very simple, go for the glasses that trigger your interests. I am not putting down research because it has helped me in many instances. However, searching for those that pique your own interest makes the hunt much more exhilarating. I got into this hobby when I saw one with a Looney Tunes character on it because I really enjoy those old cartoons. During my own expeditions, I moved into other franchises like Disney, Pokémon, and even a few showing the old McDonald’s restaurants. One never knows what they’ll find until they get out there.

What solution would you recommend for this problem? You can type your answers below in the comments section by clicking on “Leave a reply.”

Don’t forget to like, share, and subscribe to this blog to stay up-to-date.

What glass collecting problems do you want to be solved or discussed? You can post your questions below and I may answer it in my next blog post!