Do we need to add coleslaw to everything, Pittsburgh?

My mom (right), me (center), and my boyfriend (left) eating (and drinking) at our local Primanti’s before Pittsburgh’s annual winter beerfest!

One of my favorite restaurants is called Primanti’s. They have the most amazing pizza but they are more famous for their sandwiches. Primanti’s is a chain restaurant that originated in Pittsburgh and is Pittsburgh themed no matter what state the restaurant is in. My mom cannot drive past one without going in and getting a sandwich because they are that good. One very special thing about their sandwiches is that they are topped with not only the Pittsburgh tradition of fries on everything, but also coleslaw. Now, I do not eat coleslaw, I don’t like cabbage. But, my mom and aunt eat it like crazy and will cause a scene if you try to eat a Primanti’s sandwich without

Primanti’s famous sandwich! Stacked high with coleslaw and fries.

the coleslaw. In my family coleslaw is a side dish that can be eaten with anything. Most restaurants in Pittsburgh will give you a side of fries as well as a small container of coleslaw with your meal. Me saying “who wants my coleslaw” has become something of a famous saying when my family goes out to eat!

Coleslaw actually started in America in the state of New York when the Dutch who founded New York decided to grow cabbage around the Hudson river. Before this it can be seen served with the ancient Romans. They did not call it coleslaw as we do today but it was a dish that contained cabbage, vinegar, eggs and spices. This dish is close to the recipe of coleslaw that we serve today. The Dutch did not called their shredded cabbage recipe coleslaw either. Although it sounds the same, they spelled it as Koosla. Koo meaning cabbage and Sla meaning salad.

In a cookbook called The Sensible Cook: Dutch Foodways in an Old and New World, which was written by the authors Dutch landlady in 1770, there is a recipe that mixes thin strips of cabbage, butter, vinegar, and oil together. This recipe is so close to the one that people use today to make coleslaw. Today most people make coleslaw using mayonnaise, this recipe is only about 250 years old. Since coleslaw’s American debut in New York, it has spread throughout Northern Appalachia pretty easily.

If you’ve never had coleslaw I would recommend trying it. Although I don’t like it personally, my family would say you need to try it. Or you could make it yourself with this super easy recipe:

Ingredients
1 c. mayonnaise
1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp. dijon mustard
2 tsp. granulated sugar
2 tsp. celery seed
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 large head green cabbage, thinly sliced
3 large carrots, grated
Directions
  1. Whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar, dijon mustard, sugar, and celery seed. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add cabbage and carrots and mix to thoroughly combine.
  2. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.

*If you or anyone in your family makes/eats coleslaw, let me know in the comments! I would love to know what special occasions, or any occasions, that coleslaw makes it’s way into your families meals. Or if you even like it!