You Ain’t Nothin’

There’s a song almost everyone, young or old has at least heard once in their lives. Its Hound Dog. Hound Dog, with its catchy tune, was a twelve-bar blues song. It was recorded by Willie Mae “Big Mama” Thornton on August 13, 1952 in Los Angeles. Released by Peacock Records, it became Big Mama’s only hit record, spending seven weeks at number one on the R&B charts.  It became known as one of the songs that shaped Rock & Roll. However, her version isn’t what many people relate the song to. In July of 1956 Elvis Presley’s version was released. Let’s be honest, who doesn’t love Elvis?! He was the king of rock ‘n’roll. If somebody asked me my top 5 Elvis songs, Hound Dog would be one of the first ones to go on my list. I’m not the only one that prefers Elvis’ version over Big Mama’s; as it sold over 10 million copies globally. When I think of Hound Dog, i think pure rock ‘n’ roll. I was surprised to read that this song can be classified pop, country, and R&B.  Both versions have a purpose. Big Mamas highlight her voice and the true meaning of the song (about a women exposing her man). Elvis’s is more focused on transforming the song and music industry with powerful instruments combined with an upbeat tempo.  Regardless of which version people see as better, Hound Dog is a staple in American music and will always be a song that everyone knows.