Final Project

My final project is a multi-linear narrative, called Family: a pictorial history, because I use my old family photos to tell the story. It’s more of an art project than a scholarly work. I coded the pages using html, css, and javascript (that I learned from Codecademy.com), because I wanted to use some special effects that Twine does not offer. First of all, I used randomized text, meaning that the computer chooses between three different lines of text for each picture. These lines have links to other pages, so the path may change upon subsequent visits. I got the idea from web artist J.R. Carpenter, who uses this randomized effect in much of her digital literature. I also use a mouse-over effect, which causes the pictures to change when you hover the cursor over them. Many times the faces in the pictures will either age or get younger. This is all meant to be kind of disorienting. I link to outside websites, such as Google Maps and Wikipedia, appropriating them into my own story. It’s not as long as it probably should be, but I put a lot of thought into it, and a lot of coding work. I hope you like it.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.