Final Journal! Pagans and Skimpy Evidence

Cindy Jacobs managed to make me roll my eyes once or twice during her blog post. I certainly appreciate that some HP-objectors are legitimately concerned for the well-being of others, but in a situation like this one there certainly seems to be a desire for self-glorification at play.
I’m always suspicious when I see an argument being supported by a single piece of evidence that I’ve heard cited before. In this case, I’m thinking of the oft-cited Pagan Federation soundbite. Andy Norfolk of the Pagan Federation is cited as having said that occult-themed media encourages droves of young people to seek information about paganism. I’m suspicious of the numbers since they’re coming from an individual who has a vested interest in legitimizing and promoting paganism. Margot Adler found in Drawing Down the Moon that modern day heathens aren’t prone to propagating their faith. In fact, she explains that most pagans report that they identified strongly with paganism from the time they were very young. No piece of fiction served to convert the majority of the witches she spoke to in the late 70s and early 80s. This doesn’t seem all that bizarre. The boom of pop occulture had not yet begun. More surprisingly, though, the same was true for the witches she spoke to in 2006.

Jacobs and Norfolk reveal their individual schemes through their commentary. Their personal agendas separate them most clearly from more sincere do-gooders. This is especially apparent when Jacobs shares her list of forbidden practices for young people. Among them:

• Exhibiting belligerent behavior
  • Making an extreme change in dress (I am not talking about baggy pants and T-shirts. That is kids being kids. I am referring to the wearing of black clothes, fingernail polish and lipstick. Yes, some guys wear black lipstick, too.)
  • Reading occult literature
  • Displaying violent posters or flyers
  • Listening to occult rock groups such as Marilyn Manson and Metallica.

Motives blur together sometimes. Jacobs serves as a case study in what it looks like when a social agenda takes on a religious facade. As much as I can respect the validity of heartfelt spiritual concerns, I shudder to see people using God as a means to an end.

2 Responses

1. Hannah McCracken April 30, 2017 at 8:40 pm | | Reply

This was definitely an interesting journal to read! I think your overall point (if I’m reading it correctly) that one person cannot speak with such authority for the masses is a great one. It is really important to note that in all actuality literature does not truly sway people on issues as complex as religion and spirituality. This was a great read!

2. Joel Kremer May 1, 2017 at 2:26 am | | Reply

I agree with Hannah you make a great point here! I think this thought can be spread to all groups and organizations!
    Give your journal another read through, though. I think there were a couple of grammatical errors, but not many.