Rocket 88 and Hound Dog….Big Mama Thorton and Elvis

Actually I was relieved to get to more of this music, some of the earlier periods of music, well I am glad it is a thing of the past. For starters, with “Rocket 88” which was released in April of 1951 by Jackie Brenston and Delta Cats, to me it is a more hopeful song, specifically when you listen to it, it represents freedom to me. It represents a period of time where all people may have been feeling a bit more joy, more freedom… less oppression and joy and freedom, always good things and it is clear in the music. This comes through in the music of rhythm and blues and rock and roll. I have read where it n(Rocket 88) is known widely as “the first rock and roll song” and one that also represents rhythm and blues. From the earlier music, honestly more rhythm in music was needed and it comes through in this song and others. It is more carefree, uplifting and almost takes one back to feeling as if you are driving in your car in the summer time without a care in the world. I can see clearly how it would have served to inspire and create joy and a much needed feeling of freedom for all.

With the song “Hound Dog”, I appreciate Big Mama Thorton’s version, her strength comes through as in “she is calling it as she sees it and standing her ground” (which is a good thing!) . This song originally released by her in 1952 under the category of Rhythm and Blues. It is a bit dramatic but also soulful and truthful (authentic) from the perspective of the way the song was written and the way she sang it. Quite frankly, I am sure many can relate (and did back then) to one being a “hound dog” and just a not very respectable guy in terms of who Big Mama Thorton is singing about! And then Elvis’s version, released in 1956 had a bit more repetition and also had strength demonstrated in his vocals (as did Mama Thorton’s), and he in this case, one big difference of course, he was speaking/singing of a “girl hounddog” or given the interpretation of the song, a woman who wasn’t very respectful…as demonstrated in these lyrics, “well they said you were high class well, that was just a lie” followed by a verse or two later “and you ain’t no friend of mine.” Whether it was Big Mama Thorton singing to shine the light on a “hounddog” (“creepyish/dishonest” guy) or Elvis (“creepyish/dishonest girl) both were great versions in their own ways. Both valuable, both powerful, both indicative of a better era in music in my opinion. I like the Rhythm and Blues era, and still like this music actually. It actually represented music that ACTUALLY had rhythm and soul and substance (much unlike a lot of the very early era music, rhythm and blues being MUCH better in soooo many ways) and showed immense talent. I am positive there were talented people prior to this of course (an example Bessie Smith and Louis Armstrong of course, they were very talented and others too!!), but the rhythm and blues era as it progressed seems to me like more of an era that represented that more freedom, and additional freedoms expected on the horizon and that is a good thing. It comes through in the music.