Tools vs. Machines

I wanted to talk briefly about Raymond Queneau’s book, “Cent mille milliards de poèmes,” because it came up several times in our readings. What is interesting about this book is that it is pretty much a non-digital hypertext, created before personal computers even existed. People have since made digital versions, which are not as impressive (I imagine) than seeing the actual print codex. Queneaus’s book is also relevant to our upcoming discussion of Paul Fyfe’s “Digital Pedagogy Unplugged.” Concerning our last discussion, I’ve been thinking a lot about tools vs. machines, and what that means to the user. The important difference being that a tool can be used for a variety of tasks, which depend upon the user’s own goals, and a machine has a set function that the manufacturer designed it to do, and the user has very little say in what it does. I think it is important that the user be allowed to actually create material with an electronic device, not just to use it as the manufacturer intended. I am concerned that our devices are becoming more like machines that we have to fit our needs to, rather than tools that we can use to suit our needs.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.