For my birthday this year I decided it would be a good idea for me to get my own puppy that I named Iris, I got the name from The Flash tv series; the main character Barry Allen’s wife is named Iris West Allen and I always thought that was a great name. I thought it was such a good name I had it saved in my phone notes for either my first child or my first puppy. But luckily I decided to go with the puppy. But boy I had no idea of what it would take to care for a puppy on my own because they are basically a new born child. I wanted to get this puppy because I felt like my life was boring and need to shake things up with some more responsibility. I felt like I was stuck in this endless cycle of waking up, going to class, doing work, and going to sleep only to repeat it the next day for about 4 years.

Everybody shows you the joy that comes with having a puppy, but never the frustration that comes with having a puppy and trust my there’s a lot of frustration that comes with owning a puppy. From my experience of being a puppy owner for only a few months now I can definitely say it’s been interesting. The first thing was the amount of money I would have to spend on the dog alone, I knew I would have to pay for the essential things of owning a puppy like food, toys, cage, and vet shots; but nobody told me about the amount of money I would have to spend on replacing my things that she has destroyed and also the amount of money I had to spend on cleaning supplies I have never bought so much paper towels in bleach in my life. The next thing was waking me up out of my sleep. I don’t think I’ve had a full night’s rest since i’ve had her because she either has to eat, play with her toys, use the bathroom, or mess with something she has no business messing with. but no matter how mad she has made me she was 100% worth getting and i love her everyday.

After all the frustration she has caused me I had to remember that she is just a puppy new to this big world and as her new “Dad” it’s my job to make sure that she is okay and feeling loved no matter how mad she has made me. Because once she’s old enough she’ll return those feelings to me. To make sure that I have a well behaved puppy; I started watching youtube videos on how to train a new puppy which worked for me because I prefer watching videos than reading a book on how to train a puppy. The next thing I did was ask my friends who has had puppies for advice on how to deal with certain situations and my friends surprisingly gave me some good tips that worked. After having her for a few months now I still notice that she has a hard time listening to me and does what she wants so I do plan on taking her to obedience classes before that behavior gets out of control.

I’m always willing to learn from others to make sure that my puppy grows up to be a good dog and I become a good dog owner. So Hey if any of you has some advice, tips, or tricks on how to care for a new puppy feel free to leave some comments and when you’re done with that be sure to like, share, and subscribe to my blog. Have a good day.