How To Not Be Bias

If you’re into sports, chances are you have a favorite team or maybe just a favorite player. That bias could easily play a part in what you say about them.

The biggest thing about this is that it could hurt your image. You don’t want to be the guy that blindly will stand up for a team no matter what they do.  Skip Bayless is a perfect example of this. Skip has a sports talk show on FoxSports1. Skip is a huge Dallas Cowboys fan.  He doesn’t hide it. In the sports world everyone knows just how big of a fan he is. That is where he goes wrong. He will always stick up for the players no matter what. The player could be in trouble with the law and Skip will be right there saying he did nothing wrong. This has damaged his credibility when he talks about any other team or player.   Everyone knows he is just going to be comparing them to the Dallas Cowboys.

I also have to watch out for this myself. I am a huge Philadelphia sports fan. I end up showing my bias when I talk about them. Most of the time I do it without even noticing it. I have to work on that. I have to try and catch myself when I feel like I am starting over compensate. It’s not a easy thing to avoid, especially when it’s your favorite team.  Usually I have to have people tell me if I am slipping.

If you think you are someone who shows your bias for your favorite sports teams, I suggest you stick to the facts. If your favorite player is in trouble with the law, try to remember he broke the law. He’s in trouble. If you honestly think you can’t do it, just say no comment and move on to the next topic.  It’s not the best reaction, but it keeps you from losing your credibility.

Question Time! What is your favorite sports team? We all have a favorite.  I can’t wait to read them!