We have decided to extend the deadline for Achievement Funds applications to the Monday after spring break, March 18. We hope that you will use the extra time to put together a compelling application for the use of these funds. If you are ready to submit your application (based on the old deadline) please submit it when complete. We will review them as they are received up to the new deadline.
DEADLINE – MONDAY, MARCH 18, 2019
Achievement Application Components:
1. Cover Sheet
3. Personal statement
This is an essay that puts forth a narrative explanation of who you are as a person, what motivating factors drive you, how you come to be who you are, where you are going, what is important to you, what thinkers you admire, what philosophy informs your life, and how your goals, dreams and career objectives emerge from them. Keep these things in mind as you draft your narrative:
Since it’s your story, use “I” to start your sentences.
Include vivid imagery and lots of sensory details.
Weave your emotions into your narrative.
Find perfect words and expressions. Find the perfect opening sentence.
Read it aloud many times. Hear what you are saying and revise where wordy, stilted, redundant or impersonal.
4. Proposal including:
- Detailed description of the achievement experience
- Justification for this specific experience at this point in time relative to your academic, professional goals and personal goals
- Breakdown of costs in table form with an explanation of need
- Status of Arrangements including application status, pending inquiries, preliminary arrangements, deadlines for participation, dates for funding, etc
5. Resume/Vita (see Kevin) I have some good resources to help you spruce up your last effort at a resume.
6. Four Year Plan – 4YP Template
SAMPLE APPLICATION : AF Sample