EA Bored Us Until Anthem

Another year, another EA E3 conference has gone by and I have to say; I am was not impressed. While yes, Anthem did assuage some of my fear about it being a Destiny clone, it has not given me anything to be excited about until I see more footage. Bioware needs this game to be a hit to fall back into the good graces of gamers everywhere after the abysmal launch of Andromeda last year. But with its founder back in the saddle, I have confidence the game will reach heights that match Mass Effect 2 or even further. With that said…EA has some work to do keeping innovation going.

While EA’s Original initiative has given us A Way Out, which released to some critical acclaim, they need to build on that momentum. Things look promising with Sea of Solitude, a new IP coming that seems to draw upon metaphorical aspirations but given a more literal form.

Perhaps the most interesting of the bunch is the fact that Battlefield V will have a battle royale mode, which the crowd went mildly for. I honestly thought that EA would break away from the Call of Duty trend following, but I was sadly mistaken. I guess we will see if these two modes will hold-up against each other and not fall into obscurity as Fortnite continues its reign over Twitch and YouTube. But it was nice to see that the game still looks gorgeous compared to its rival and focuses more on what makes it more diverse than easy grab and go style of COD.

Overall the conference was mediocre at best. FIFA was something only those in that niche will ever care about, Madden brought Ju Ju Smith-Schuster, my favorite player on the Steelers by the way, and another guy that only five percent of the crowd even knew and an EA Origins premium service that only a few will subscribe to was discussed. As E3 continues to roll on, I hope Sony and Nintendo bring the goods, because it is obvious the corporate appeal of Microsoft, Ubisoft, and EA will continue their run of promising but ultimately hit-or-miss conferences again this year. Or maybe Bethesda will do something other than show off another updated Skyrim or Fallout. Hopefully?