5/28/2019

Journal

Having enjoyed the day off from internship due to the holiday, work resumed in the Marketing and Communications department today. I didn’t see Michelle or Stephanie much and spent most of my time in the office. Today I finished dividing a list of news papers in PA up by county. This enabled me to identify the news papers in Allegheny County. Then, I started working through that list of papers. One or two weren’t very useful to our project because they didn’t exist or catered to a different audience than we were looking for. I collected contact information from the papers that we will want to reach out to. With that done, I may have my first draft of print, radio, and television contact information for Allegheny County compiled.

The next step, after I figure out how to present this data to my superiors, will be to show it to Michelle and Stephanie so they can offer feedback on my thoroughness and presentation. If they like the amount of data and the way I’ve arranged it, I will be able to get busy with the remainder of the counties. Afterward, or during this process, I’ll need to propose a way to share this data with my colleagues so they can send our press releases effectively. This is part of how I’m contributing to the marketing strategy of the University.

Today I learned the difference between a managing editor and a head editor. The head editor rarely edits pieces whereas the managing editor will sometimes. The managing editor is also involved with story assignments. For that reason, I’m tending to include their contact info when I’m evaluating staff members at papers to see if we want to reach out to them.

Schedule

• 9:12-9:53 (finished organizing newspapers by county)
  • 9:53-12:50 (identified contacts for newspapers in Allegheny County)
  • 12:50-12:52 (realized, through feedback from Keppich, that I need to add some info to my radio station data)