Throwbacks

This past week I have been going back in time to my middle school days and listening to the music I used to listen to back then. The other night I had my Youtube videos on autoplay and I heard the beginning to “Fat Lip” by Sum41 come on and I got so excited because it had been a while since I actually listened to and enjoyed this song. From there, I heard a lot of songs from Good Charlotte, Blink182, and then Avril Lavigne and No Doubt. In my first blog post, I had written about skate punk and how it has evolved into many different forms of punk. I hadn’t thought about it since then. But, as I was researching for my presentation for this class, I started to realize how many subgenres of punk there actually was. My song is by the band No Doubt, and I dove back into the endless Wikipedia pages of the various genres that No Doubt covers. There’s ska-punk, new wave, two-tone, ska-rock, reggae rock, punk-core, ska-core and many many more. All of these have a similar thread, but can also sound completely different. Also: I realized that I have always been a fan of ska music! I have been listening to Sublime for as long as I can remember, thanks to my dad. Ska has become a new “obsession” of mine. Attached to this post is one of my favorite ska songs! (Watch the video, it’s amazing)