May 8

2000’s Country

This post is going to be about 2000’s County.  I am not particularly a fan of country music at all.  I actually like using the description of “emo farm music.” I feel like this describes the genre at least to me in the best way possible.  Jay did the song Drive by Alan Jackson in reference to the topic of country.  This song can be categorized as the softer more emotion side of country.  Some of the other characteristics of this genre that he stated in his presentation were…

• ›Working Class Americans
  • ›Young to Old (all ages)
  • ›Suburban
  • ›Southerners
  • ›Male and Female]

He also said that this genre had the most “drive time” just meaning that when driving to work, country music was the most likely thing to be played in the car while waiting.

Some of the musical characteristics of this genre were…

• ›Twangy vocals
  • Lots of instrumentation
    • Bass
    • Guitar
    • Harmonica
    • Drums
    • Steel Guitar

This type of music also had a very simply flow about it compared to some other songs.  The correct term for the flow would be the form.  This type of music normally has 2 full length verse, a chorus that is the same every single time, and a third shorter chorus that eventually loops back into the same old chorus.  Not very interesting to listen to in my opinion.

The last thing Jay talked about in his presentation was about Alan Jackson’s life. He was born in the small town of Newnan, Georgia on October 17, 1958.  He started preforming at a young age with Gospel at home and church.  He then performed locally as a teenager in a country duo of some sort.  In his adult years he moved to Nashville to write his own lyrics.  He was the signed to Arista Records by 1989.

›I can appreciate the emotion and thought that goes into this genre of music.  The message behind some of these lyrics are very powerful, but I can not relate this these songs.  I will never make fun of someone for having a love of country music, as long as they understand that it just isn’t my cup of tea.

Posted May 8, 2017 by Sydney in category MUHI 333 Blog Posts