Nouf Alshreif's Blog

Indiana University of Pennsylvania

Going Technology Free

September27

My initial intention was to go literacy as well as technology free. I recognized that it is impossible to go literacy free because I will drive and read the road signs inevitably. This is only the first reason. I realized that going literacy free is impossible for a mother of two kids who need to teach new skills, numbers, vocabularies, alphabets, sounds, new behaviors, body movements almost five minutes. Regardless of the difficulties I faced, my one-day technology free was a success because it allows me to understand the roots of being a mother who unconsciously mediates between her children and the world and to appreciate the presence of my family support.

The first thought that I had on Saturday morning is related to a dialogue that I had with my father fifteen years ago. At this point of the day, I know it is eight o’clock because my daughter started crying. Unexpectedly, I recalled a conversation that I had with my father regarding the internet. It was strange to remember such a conversation. Obviously, my brain was digging on my memories to investigate how the internet was introduced within the context of Saudi Arabia and the territory of our family home. My father stated, “there will be something called the internet that answers all of your questions.” Consequently, I thought that the internet can think for us. Unfortunately, the execution of the literal meaning of “the internet can answer all of your questions” was unhelpful. As an assignment, a professor asked us to research how the concept of racism is constructed in an English novel that we were required to read. I literally typed this question and was expecting that the search engine can provide an accurate answer. I realized that there is no substitution of my brain as a resource to critically think and analyze. This early, one-to-one experience with the internet deepened my understanding of myself as an intellectual figure.

As my two kids are enrolled in dancing classes that start at 11 a.m., I was nervous because of the timing issue. I decided to trust my biological clock. I wanted to take photos of my little girl, Jody, going to her tap dance class, but I whispered to myself, “it is only twenty-four hours.” I kept the day rolling, heading toward Starbucks to have my morning cup of coffee. At this time, I realized that my daughter is not feeling well. In fact, she was coughing severely and ended up vomiting. At this moment, I needed my cell phone to talk to her doctor. I had feelings of being isolated and lonely. The source of the mixed emotions I had correlates to my feeling that I was taking care of the kids while my husband was on her motorcycle driving to Pittsburgh. With no technology, a friend, or a husband, it was hard to handle the situation. At this point of the day, I did not want to ruin my technology free day. Regardless of the fact that I was not able to locate myself in time, I decided to get over the situation. We proceeded with our day, making it to class five minutes late.

I stopped worrying about the clock after getting to the dancing school. It is only the beginning of the day, but I was already getting emotional. My Saturday morning rituals were ruined because I am technology free. I was not able to call my family back home. I can’t watch my favorite Saturday show. I can’t use my laptop. The only option available is to practice food literacy. I am not really missing my phone. I am missing my family, the most important figures in my life. I realized that they are far away and that technology is a way to connect to my love ones.

On the other hand, I felt how my kids were happy that I was not distracted, working on a paper or reading a book. Because I was not able to go literacy free, I started to think if I am interfering between my kids and their first-hand experiences of the world. I am afraid that I have been always over protective. Somehow, the technology free assignment led me to think of my literacy experiences with my kids. In addition, it made me think of how difficult to define literacy. Literacy can be in the way through which I ask my daughter to clean up the floor. It can be asking my daughter to sit on her car seat and teaching her that it is dangerous not to do so.

I did not collapse, my twenty-four-hour technology free was a success. I think this experience was easier for me because I am a busy mother of two. I can dedicate all of my time to my kids, enjoying my time as a mediator. I learned that I need to explore with my kids why I am asking them to do certain things. I have to be more careful in regards to me imposing certain ideologies. I learned that I need to talk to my husband in regards to his contributions, helping to raise these kids. My technology free day helped me to examine my relationships with my kids, my husband, and my family back home.

by posted under Uncategorized | 5 Comments »    
5 Comments to

“Going Technology Free”

1. September 27th, 2016 at 6:21 pm      Reply J Says:

I admire that you didn’t break the rules at all during 24 hours, which I couldn’t accomplish during my 12 hours of attempt (I failed twice). A great job!

2. September 27th, 2016 at 6:22 pm      Reply Zhigang Bai Says:

I overslept without the help of my phone, the alarm clock app actually. But I was happy that I could have more sleep. If I do not use technology too much, I will have more sleep and rest.

3. September 27th, 2016 at 6:23 pm      Reply Mohamed Yacoub Says:

Dear Dr. Nouf, that was a good post.

4. September 27th, 2016 at 6:23 pm      Reply nytv Says:

This is deep “I recognized that it is impossible to go literacy free because I will drive and read the road signs inevitably”. You are showing us what technology means which is beautifully put! God Reflection!

5. September 27th, 2016 at 6:34 pm      Reply Sukanto Roy Says:

Hi Nouf,
    Thank you very much for such a nice post. It is really very interesting.

Best,

Sukanto

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Skip to toolbar