Michael’s Re-Mix

Michael Van Etten did a remixed fiction work for his remix. He took the section of Harry training Hogwarts students for Dumbledore’s Army and reworked to be like the book Fight Club. I have never seen or read Fight Club, but I am interested in looking into it further after his presentation.

Michael spoke clearly and loud enough for his piece to be read sufficiently. His story fit well into the Harry Potter story and gave a new side to Harry. I think that it could be a popular fanfiction if Michael wanted to take it further. I liked that Michael only gave us a taste of the story, instead of a long project. The fiction piece was only two page, but it was two good pages. It was easy to follow along with the story without having many questions at the end.

On creativity, I think Michael did a great job. He took something, Fight Club,that he liked and was familiar with, and gave a Harry Potter twist to it. He didn’t do something typical and really thought about his audience when he was creating his remix. I liked how he gave us a background about Fight Club and how it inspired him growing up. He said that he learned about emotions through Fight Club, which is important when you study literature. This back story gave the fiction piece a personal meaning for us to connect to.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I really enjoyed Mike’s remix. I too, am a fan of Fight Club and thought it was very clever the way he interwove Fight Club and Harry Potter. He adapted a similar writing style to Chuck Palahniuk to start with. This really helped to set the tone for the piece. It showed that he took the time to really look at how Palahniuk wrote to make his version fit.

I also loved the way he made Dumbledore’s Army the fight club. He could have easily made it dueling class, or something similar, but Dumbledore’s Army fit perfectly. The idea that it was a secret society that revolved around fighting was already there, he just had to twist it a little to make it work. And he did just that. He made it work very well.

I also loved how he included the schizophrenic aspect of Fight Club by having Harry and The Chosen One as two different people. That kind of attention to detail really made the piece stand out. He found literally every similarity I can think of and used it to his benefit.

Overall his piece was very entertaining, well thought out, and well written. I think he did a magnificent job. I’m still excited over it honestly, but that could just be because of how much I love Fight Club.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This re-mix project got me interested in a non-Harry Potter story. I went and rented Fight Club after Michael read his fanfiction. I liked the darker feel the entire story had. It was cool to see a darker spin off of Dumbledore’s Army. I will admit to being confused as to who the story was in the perspective of. At first I thought that it would have just been a student from Harry’s year that had joined Dumbledore’s Army. After he had finished reading it I wasn’t too sure of that anymore. I think I’ve reconciled it to thinking that it was from Harry’s perspective the entire time. I like to think that it was some darker part of Harry’s mind, a part that had separated itself from The Chosen One. I didn’t ask who it was because it didn’t really bother me until later on that day when I had confused details left as to what actually happened.

I would like some clarity as to who the speaker was. I’ve also never really been a fan of such short one-shots. I would like to see that story expanded following the same darker line of thinking. Order of the Phoenix is really a turning point in the series with darkness in plot as well as in characters themselves. I would definitely read that story if he or anyone else wrote something along the same lines of Dumbledore’s Army being a secret fight club.