A Colorful Do

Happy 4th of July my friends!

Today, corporate America is off for the holiday, however the blogger never misses a post!

Today’s topic of discussion will pick up where yesterday’s makeup topic left off: Unnatural hair colors in the work place.

It may seem like a no brainer to save the purple hair dye for Halloween, however, after spending some time in my current position at a corporation with over 2,000 employees, I’m beginning to question that notion.

For example, one of my superiors has blue highlights, and another woman on my floor has light pink hair (and they both rock it). These are professional, accomplished women who are still taken seriously despite their somewhat outlandish hair color choices. So in a world where bosses have multi-colored strands, what is ok and what isn’t?

I’m no expert on this, but I think it’s safe to say that checking with HR to keep up on your company’s policies is key. They know best, so play it safe and shoot them an email or stop buy their office at lunch time.

Another thing to keep in mind. Who in your company has the interesting hair colors. Are they your superiors or peers? Both? Superiors are just that- they are superior to you, meaning like it or not, they have more leeway in the office. If your well-accomplished peers are rocking the unnatural colored locks, pay attention to how they are treated by others in the company. Are they still taken as seriously?

With all of that being said, if you’re going for an interview I would personally still stay away from the crazy colors. You won’t know what’s acceptable going into a company for the first time, no matter how many online reviews you read. Policies change all of the time.

I’m not saying neon rainbow hair would be your best idea, but if other people in your work place are rocking some color and HR says it’s ok, why not add a few purple highlights if that’s what you want?

Would you ever rock some interesting hair colors in the corporate world?

Be sure to share this post on your social media pages if you found it helpful or think it would be helpful for a friend!

gwfw