24 Hours Tech Free

As an assignment for ENGL 808, I went (almost) tech free Thursday night and most of Friday. I must admit the idea was excruciating. I felt like life was going to go on without me, I was going to be unreachable, and I was going to miss out on very important things.

When I started the tech free experiment around 5:13 pm on Thursday, I also felt like I had too much time on my hands and no tools to keep me occupied. I kept thinking to myself, “I wish I had printed that handout or brought that book”. I am not used to having so much free time. Friday morning, I stayed in bed for as long as I could, then I took the longest shower. After shower, I went back to bed.

The best part of the tech-free experiment was Thursday night when my cohort got together at the Coney after a gathering to welcome the first-year cohort. All tech-free, we engaged in conversations, no multitasking, no distractions, no parallel virtual world to divide our attention. It felt good to reconnect. Then back in my apartment some of us colored an adult coloring book. I’ve always wanted to color but never had the time. So many priorities, obligations, to-do-lists, life! But that night I was free. That night at the dinner and then while coloring, I felt so good. I was present. I felt free. And I loved being in here and now.