INNOVATION

Blog Post #11

01/10/2019

Innovation 

Innovation in today’s market is required for companies to thrive. So as an executive or manager, you have to cultivate an environment that is flexible to change. Furthermore, it has to be open to innovation. Innovations often come from subordinates with ideas on how to improve efficiency. 

So how can you as a leader make the environment more accepting of new innovative ideas? In one of my previous blogs, I spoke of a bad relationship I had with my Sgt. One of my negative interactions with him involved an instance where he did not want to listen to one of my ideas. This caused me to shut down somewhat, I still did my job to standard, but I cared a lot less.

I learned from this so when I eventually was in the same position as team leader I tried to listen to my subordinates. I also asked for their input whenever I could to make them feel apart of the decision-making process. They felt comfortable coming to me with ideas on improving the efficiency of our team. It should be noted that this does not always work and is extremely dependant on the work environment.

I encourage you to attempt this. Create an environment where your subordinates feel comfortable approaching you. You can create this by getting to know your team, talk to them about their lives. You do not have to become friends with them, but it does not hurt to know what’s going on in their lives. Exchanging of small talk goes a long way with subordinates.   

If you do not feel comfortable trying to foster an innovative environment turn to one of your mentors for advice. Try different techniques to establish rapport with your team. Group bonding exercise ideas are available on google. Look at other teams or departments and observe what they do.

What do you think about creating an innovative environment? Have you ever fostered this if so how? Do you agree or disagree with anything I said if so please comment and be respectful? If you have any friends or family that may be interested in this content, please refer them to this site.