Freire’s

Freire says, “Reading does not consist merely of decoding the written word or language; rather, it is preceded by and intertwined with knowledge of the world” (p. 29). How do you think the world has shaped your view of reading? How has it shaped your students’ views?

Are we read, are are getting exposed to knowledge. This knowledge can be coming from different perspective and different cultures. Reading helps us to see the world differently, from different angles. Reading can shape students’ way of thinking of the world in many ways. Students can learn to think differently, and maybe more creatively.

Freire also says, “Learning to read and write means creating and assembling a written expression for what can be said orally” (p. 35). Schoalrs have argued about the differences between orality and literacy. What role do you feel orality has played in shaping your views of literacy?

Orality has played a role in shaping my views of literacy. It broadened the definition of literacy to me. I thought that literacy is all about reading and writing. I have never thought of orality as an option. I never thought that there are some cultures who value orality, and have been influenced by orality.