Is the Good Supplies Worth the $$$

First rule in Art School: AVOID THE CO OP STORE!

Yes, I know, you are a freshman with no car to get to the local art supplies store. Trust me  taking the bus or asking a friend for a ride will save you money on your supplies instead of walking across campus to the over priced CO-OP. Sometimes there are things you will need to buy from the store that the class requires you, but if you don’t need to buy it from there…don’t!

Second rule in Art School: You don’t need the expensive stuff just yet.

I have had many classes that I have bought the cheapest of the cheap in my supplies. Michael’s has its own brand called ArtistLoft. Not the best quality, but not bad either, and it’s definitely cheaper. You are on your way to being a professional, but you aren’t there yet. So don’t spend money on a $20 tube of paint that you don’t even know how to use yet. It’s a waste and not worth it. If you are set on getting good supplies wait until you know what you’re doing. If you want the expensive paints, get the cheap stuff first until you learn how to use it and not just waste the paint. Once you find your technique and start painting stuff you really want THEN go and get the expensive stuff.