Too Much of a Good Thing

Over-exercising is a huge problem and can be dangerous. Exercise is not a punishment for what you ate or how you look, but a celebration of all the amazing things your body can do. When it becomes something other than that, it can be detrimental to your health. Exercise can become an addiction. There was a time in my life where I was addicted to exercise. Just as it’s important to have a healthy relationship with food, a healthy relationship with exercise is vital.

When you start seeing results from your exercise, it can be very exciting. You want to move further and improve even more, so you work harder. It can be easy to get hooked on the results and the endorphin rush you get from working out. Many people do not fully understand their limits or are not able to recognize the signs that they are overworking their bodies.

The first step to avoiding over-exercising is being able to recognize the signs. If you leave your workout leaving exhausted and irritable rather than energized, it could be a sign that you pushed yourself a little too hard. If you are getting sick frequently and can’t seem to recover, or are sore for days at a time after a workout, it may be a sign that it’s time for a rest day. It is important to listen to your body and find a balance.

At the height of my addiction to exercise, I was working out at least 2 hours a day every day. I was constantly tired and it was affecting me both physically and mentally, but I felt lazy when I took a day off. Looking back, I can now see how unhealthy that was. Things turned around for me when I began only allowing myself to work out for an hour at most every day, and making myself take at least one rest day a week. Since making these changes, I actually look forward to working out again, and though I am not as intensely active, I feel much healthier.

What do you do to make sure your relationship with exercise is a healthy one? Tell me in the comments! If you enjoyed my post please like, share, and subscribe to my blog. What would you like to see me post next? Ask a question in the comments and I may answer it in my next blog post!