Internship Review

In the internship, I wanted to get the chance to be a part of the different media fields, and I thought this would be a great place to do so, because they have a TV station, a radio station, and a newspaper there. I did get to experience more things than I probably would have otherwise, like typing for a community newspaper (not just a school one) and taking pictures for that newspaper, as well as setting up and answering phones for a TV auction and answering phones for their weekly Sunday night show.

However, a lot of the TV and radio station work I didn’t really get to be a part of, which is unfortunate, because those ones are things I may end up wanting to do and that would have been interesting to me to learn how to do. I mostly did things for the newspaper side of it, which isn’t necessarily where I am looking to have a career in the future. Most of the other interns felt the same way, so I am not the only one with this observation.

The way I would meet these objectives in the future would be to possibly work for an organisation that doesn’t rely so much on writing and newspaper things and focuses on radio or TV stations, in which I could learn more things in pertaining to those areas.

What I learnt about  myself and my career plans thru the internship is that I went further in figuring out and exploring what specific parts of a media career I was interested in. I got to experience different sides of media careers firsthand and see what I liked and what I didn’t to help me determine what specific kind of media career I would want to pursue in the future.

I grew professionally from the internship because I now know how to do work related things that I previously didn’t know how to do or didn’t have much experience doing. Some examples would be answering phones for a TV show, typing for a community paper, doing the newspaper walk route by myself, and just the whole idea of being independent and on my own for some things outside the station which I didn’t really get much of a chance earlier to do.

I grew personally from the internship because talking to the other interns and the adults working there improved my social skills and professional conversation skills, both with peers and older adults. I was the only girl intern and I never talked all that much to boys before as far as doing things with them on a regular basis so this was a learning experience for that as well. I also got to learn how to interact with workers of other businesses when we were sent somewhere to perform duties for the organisation. You learn how to be polite with other ones and how to talk to most people.

I would want a job similar to the internship, but not completely similar. I enjoyed most of the aspects of it, such as going out to businesses and answering phones, and I loved working at and for the auction. However, as I said earlier, I want to work for one that doesn’t put so much emphasis on newspaper work and writing to give me a chance to have more experiences with TV or radio stations because that is something I would really like to learn how to do.