Networking in Sports Media

So you want to work in sports media, but you don’t know what to do to get a job? I have one word for you: Networking! Networking is scary, but let me tell you this, it’s so important.  You will be very happy you put in the effort.  So, I will be talking about how to network in sports media.

The biggest issue people have when it comes to networking is they don’t know how to get started. If you’re not in college, it’s possible you won’t even know what networking is.  In this post I will explain two things I do when it comes to networking.

1.  Go to sports conferences

Now, I don’t have much experience in going to conferences, but I did go to one at IUP. It was the Pennsylvania Sports Business Conference.  Conferences have speakers and employers who can tell you about their job or even talk about what they had to do in order to get into the industry. Something you should know is to ALWAYS TAKE THEIR BUSINESS CARDS! It doesn’t matter if the speaker didn’t get your attention or what they do isn’t something you want to do, always get their card and try to stay in contact with them. Build a relationship with them (don’t be weird or creepy).  Let them know what your interests are. Chances are if something opens up that person will think of you.  You could be their first choice for the job.

2. Internship

I haven’t done an internship yet so I can’t tell you everything, but, I do know internships can be a great opportunity to get your name out there.   It could even get you a job.  Most internships are unpaid and at times could seem pointless, but you’re building your strengths with a company.  They are teaching you important skills.  You’re building your connections with the people in your chosen field.  The company will be able to see the things you’re talented at and will put you in situations to let you grow.  You might think that no one is noticing, but people are always watching.  People will talk and you could end up with a job when the internship ends.

Another good thing to use is a website called Teamworkonline.com. This website is like a linkedin for sports jobs.  You can build your profile and apply for jobs from all levels in the sports world.  You can also find job fairs and conferences to attend. I have a profile on this site and I recommend checking it out.   It can really help you in finding networking opportunities.

You have to get your name out there. Nothing will be handed to you, you have to speak up and let people see you.

The question I have for you today is this. Do you think you have done enough networking? If not, what is one thing that is keeping you from it?

As always if you want to keep up with me and my daily thoughts on everything going on in the sports world, you can follow me on Twitter @Warm_Bean.  Feel free to tweet at me too.