In advance of the 2020 Census, the U.S. Census Bureau is recruiting thousands of people for temporary jobs across the country.
These positions provide the perfect opportunity to earn some extra income while helping your community. The results of the 2020 Census will help determine each state’s representation in Congress, as well as how certain funds are spent for schools, hospitals, roads, and more. This is your chance to play a part in history and help ensure that everyone in your community is counted!
Pay rates can vary by position and location, but the pay for a census taker position in Indiana County is $13.50 per hour, in Allegheny County the rate is $18.50 per hour, in Montgomery County, PA the rate is $20.50 per hour, and in Philadelphia County it is $21 per hour. Census takers also receive reimbursement for work-related mileage and expenses, where applicable.
Representatives from the Census Bureau will be in the lobby of the IUP Humanities and Social Sciences Building on Tuesday, March 26, 2019 from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m. to answer any questions you might have about these positions.
To be eligible for a 2020 Census job, you must:
· Be at least 18 years old.
· Have a valid Social Security number.
· Be a U.S. citizen.
· Have a valid email address.
· Complete an application and answer assessment questions. (Some assessment questions are available in Spanish. However, an English proficiency test may also be required.)
· Be registered with the Selective Service System or have a qualifying exemption, if you are a male born after Dec. 31, 1959.
· Pass a Census-performed criminal background check and a review of criminal records, including fingerprinting.
· Commit to completing training.
· Be available to work flexible hours, which can include days, evenings, and/or weekends.
Most jobs require employees to:
· Have access to a vehicle and a valid driver’s license, unless public transportation is readily available.
· Have access to a computer with internet and an email account (to complete training).