State APSCUF is seeking a junior/senior PASSHE student in political science, communications, journalism, or a related field to serve as a government relations/public relations intern at the state office building in Harrisburg. The student internship must be for academic credit under the supervision of a PASSHE University faculty member. The successful applicant should have strong knowledge of governmental workings as well as excellent oral and written communications skills.
The intern will work under the supervision of both APSCUF’s Public Relations and
Governmental Relations offices.
Duties will include:
1) Assist with tracking and updating APSCUF members on current legislative issues
2) Assist in planning APSCUF events, such as Lobby Day
3) Research issues as needed
4) Attend various legislative meetings and events on behalf of the department
5) Assist in coordinating grassroots lobbying at local campuses
6) Update APSCUF’s media contacts
7) Assist in preparing copy for potential radio and newspaper advertising
8) Assist in connecting with campus CAS (Commonwealth Association of Students)
chapters to improve communications
9) Prepare news releases as required
10) Assist in editing video files
11) Assist in updating APSCUF’s social networking sites
APSCUF will provide housing (if necessary).
Intern is responsible for transportation from the apartment to downtown Harrisburg (on bus route) since parking is not provided. Intern is also responsible for electric, cable, telephone. In addition, APSCUF will pay $10 per hour for a 35-hour, M-F work week. The internship will begin January 18 and conclude on April 29.
Please send resume, letter of application and two letters of reference (one letter must be from
the student’s internship coordinator/supervisor/department chair) to:
President Steve Hicks
319 N. Front Street
Harrisburg, PA 17101
NOTE: Spring, 2011 application deadline is November 15, 2010.