Changes

After one makes the decision to become vegan, their life changes in ways they may have never thought possible.  Whether it’s finding food you didn’t know existed, to meeting people you may not have otherwise met, going vegan opens up a lot of doors for many.

1. I felt great.

For some reason, many have this predisposition that vegans are pale, bony, and tired most of the time.  This is only true for those who are not eating healthy – and it doesn’t take being vegan to do so.  I made the decision to eliminate meat from my diet when I was rather young, so I never noticed a huge change in my overall energy.  Once I chose to eliminate dairy and eggs from my diet, I noticed within a week or two that my energy levels had improved.  I could function better even if I didn’t get enough sleep, and my attention span was longer.  I had previously struggled with a poor attention span, so the improvement was important to my life, especially as a student.  I no longer ate meals that made me want to lie down for a nap or hang out in the bathroom for a while.  After eating, I felt energized and ready to take on the day.  When you recognize food as literal fuel for your body, it makes sense that your body will truly run better when it takes in better food.

2. I looked great.

Okay, not to be full of myself in anyway, but really.  My skin is the clearest it has ever been in my life, and I feel like I am glowing.  I don’t feel the need to put on a full face of makeup anymore, because I love my skin’s natural radiance.  Dairy has a detrimental effect to our skin and we don’t even realize it.  Some people get bags under their eyes simply from drinking milk.  I also noticed I do not get bruises as easily, and when I do they fade quickly.  I struggled a lot with biting and picking my fingernails, and since cutting dairy, they have grown long and strong.  I still fight my bad habits, but stronger nails definitely help.  Finally, I never noticed much difference in my teeth, but my dentist now compliments me on how nice my teeth are! I try mentioning that it probably has to do with my diet, but she doesn’t seem very interested in my crazy ways.  I also don’t have to worry much about my weight.  I have always been blessed with a petite figure, although sometime pizza binges would get the best of me.  Now, dairy-free pizza binges are no danger to my belly.  I weigh the same I did at 17 years old, with only moderate exercise.

3. I became open-minded.

I have been a picky eater most of my life.  If I couldn’t pronounce it or never heard of it before, I was not going to eat it.  If it was from a culture I knew nothing about, I was not going to eat it.  My eyes have since been opened to the wonderful flavors many cultures offer.  I now prefer most foreign restaurants, such as Thai, Japanese, Mediterranean, and Arabic.  These places tend to have a better variety of vegan options, whereas most American restaurants simply have salads and fried veggies.  I have been introduced to tempeh, falafel, hummus, tofu, and many new vegetables, thanks to foreign restaurants and going vegan.

4.  I became more grateful.

Animal products are a luxury.  They require extensive land, water, and human interaction to be produced as a commercial product.  I realized all the food I eat takes a lot of effort to get to my plate.  I appreciate every meal and often think of those without.  I appreciate the fact that I live in a world where I can buy fresh fruits and vegetables from a grocery store or farmer’s market, instead of growing them myself.  I am grateful that my family can choose what and when they eat.  I am thankful for the clean water that is pumped to my home.  There are millions of people who do not have these luxuries.  It is not necessarily the meat industry’s fault for their suffering, but we are feeding an awful lot of grain and water to animals instead of hungry people. 70% percent of all grains grown on earth are fed to animals.  I can only hope that one day this number will go down, along with the number of hungry people.  I am so thankful to live in a world where I can choose to be vegan, instead of it being my only option due to poverty like it is for so many.

I could go on and on for days about how things have changed since becoming vegan.  It is the best decision I have ever made for myself.  It has brought me to new places, new faces, and a whole new meaning to the word empathy.  I hope those I reach are touched by my experience, and I will continue spreading the word until I am sure everyone has truly heard it.