Good afternoon one all, today I am coming to talk to you about screenwriting according to Creative Skill Set http://creativeskillset.org/job_roles/3078_screenwriter
- Researching and developing story ideas
- Writing screenplays
Is this role right for me?
To do this role, you will need to:
- Have an in-depth understanding of story, plot and narrative
- Understand the different ways that films affect audiences
- Be familiar with current formats for presenting screenplays
- Be able to demonstrate creative imagination
- Be able to bring to life the individuality of characters
- Be able to write visually, using sound and dialogue to support action
- Be dedicated and well organized
- Be able to work as part of a team
- Be able to work to strict deadlines
- Be able to handle frequent rejection
- Be ambitious
- Be realistic
What does a Screenwriter do?
Screenplays should allow whoever is reading it to imagine how the film will work on screen. It should feature fascinating characters, an exciting plot, and a great idea for a marketable film. It should also fit in with basic principles of dramatic construction, and fit the format and style expected in the industry.
Screenwriters must produce highly creative writing, to strict deadlines. They work with a script development team to create a finished product that is likely to be financed and made. Sometimes producers bring in an additional Screenwriter to improve certain aspects of the screenplay. In this case, the Screenwriter may share a credit with the original Screenwriter. Or they may be credited for Additional Dialogue, or as a Story Consultant.
In some cases, the original Screenwriter may be replaced entirely by another Screenwriter. In this case the original Screenwriter may then receive a “Screen story by…” credit on the finished film.
Screenwriters are almost always freelancers. They either pitch original ideas to Producers in the hope that they will be optioned or sold. Or they are commissioned by a Producer to create a screenplay from a concept, true story, existing screen work or a novel, poem, play, comic book or short story.
Many more screenplays are commissioned than films are made. Only a few top UK Screenwriters make enough money to sustain themselves entirely through writing screenplays.
Have you thought about what it takes to be a screenwriter? Please share your comments with me and others because I have more to share tomorrow.