April 6

General Thoughts. And a Close Reading to III Passage.

Generally, through out reading Rankine’s book, I have notice that she upsides down everything that I have known about Standard- Academic writing. First of all, the usage of such a direct, English- spoken vocabulary, is like a basic in her writings. It is true that makes it easier to read, but it lost the fantasy language that I still believe that any literary work should based on. Second, she kept using the pronoun “You” in almost all her passages. That such a good idea, which pushes the reader to be involve in the passage itself by attracting her/his attention to be the addressee.

I choose one of the passages for a closely reading. That is passage III.

What attracted my attention- as I mentioned above- is the simple language and the You pronoun. There is obviously a connection between the two points that is ignoring any feature of the Academic writing, which the unique words and avoiding especially the pronoun You is a major point in.

I am not sure whether it is a poem, a passage, or a recorded speech! That is due to its style since I was not able to find any literary elements! There is no rhyme, plot, characters, structure, conflict, genre. What we have is only a kind of setting that is ” a distant neighborhood in Santa Monica “, and nothing else. It looks like a narrative story that the writer telling us about a bothering situation related to race and racism.

Talking about the racism, it is clearly the whole section is about it. So that, reading one passage can symbolize the rest of it. Also, from the first sight, you can figure out that is about racism issue via the picture the writer used.

Posted April 6, 2015 by Ms. Nourah Alsubaie in category Uncategorized