Mass Communications

Hello everyone, hope you are having a great Friday! Today I am going to a local farmers market and getting some produce and some baked goods. Later on, I am going to a family friends house and having a cookout and going swimming. A topic I would like to discuss today is Mass Communications.

You may be asking yourself, what exactly is Mass Communications and why is it important? Well, I am here to tell you that it is essentially the different methods used to convey information on a large scale through different forms of media such as TV, radio, social media and also forms of print media such as newspaper and magazine. Being a Communications Media major, it is important to have an understanding of mass communications because it is a vital part of your major.

Some common obstacles that people have when it comes to mass communications are understanding what the different theories associated with mass communications include the Cultivation Theory, Uses and Gratifications Theory, Agenda Setting Theory and The Two-Step Flow Theory. The Cultivation Theory is associated with understanding the effects of television over the course of a length of time. It is used to understand how the viewer’s perception of reality is compared to television. The Uses and Gratification Theory is used to see why certain demographics of people seek out different types of media that satisfies their needs. The Agenda Setting Theory is about the press and media and how it shapes our society and decisions and also the perceptions to issues that matter more within a person’s life. The last theory is the Two-Step Flow theory involves individuals that lead in opinions to the masses and are people that are a great influence on many. It can be used in politics and also business and corporations.

Something that I had trouble with was understanding communications on the mass scale especially when I first was introduced to the major. It has taken a few years of classes, reading text books, watching documentaries / YouTube videos and many other forms of media to have a grasp of these concepts; but as time goes on, I have grown to understand more about the theories of mass communication.

What are your thoughts on mass communication? How do you think mass communications will come into play with your major? Let me know, I would love to hear your feedback.

Have a good night!

-Hunter