Storyboarding

Hello everyone, hope you are having a great Thursday! Today I am seeing an old high school friend I haven’t saw in over 6 years so that will be nice to rendezvous with her! A topic I would like to discuss today is storyboarding.

Storyboarding is the process of taking multiple scenes of a show, film or video and sketching what the camera will capture and at the same time including the camera angle and any dialogue. It is essentially a shot by shot take on what is going to happen.

Some obstacles that many people face when it comes to storyboarding is thinking you aren’t artistically-inclined enough, not completing a storyboard correctly and when the right time to complete a storyboard is.

I had to storyboard for Dr. Lenze’s COMM 150 class. We were required to make a short film and had to treat it like a real production (it really was). We were assigned to a group and we had to recreate an Aesop fable and my group had to do The Man and the Lion. We brainstormed as a group and had to recreate the story but tell it in a new manner. This can be challenging to try and create a new way of telling a story, but with the right amount of creativity, anything is possible. Once we write a script, the next step is to turn the words into a vision and the way we do that is through storyboarding. You have to look at each scene of your production and imagine it through the lens of a camera. Each scene requires a new storyboard and when you create one for each scene, you eventually use these during your shooting.

The important thing to recognize with storyboarding is that it is something that takes a lot of work and requires a lot of attention to detail. I remember the first time I attempted storyboarding, it was definitely intimidating at first, but once I got a hang for it everything was okay!

What was your first experience with storyboarding? Do you think it is challenging or do you think it was a breeze? Let me know, I would love to hear!

Hope you have a great day!

-Hunter