Photography (for anyone)

Happy Tuesday hope you are all having a great day! It has been pretty hot, so I have been staying inside most of the day. I did go out earlier for a double shot of espresso from my local coffee shop, that always helps boost productivity around the house! Today a skill I would like to discuss is photography. Photography is a field that has interested me for a number of years and is something that I have not specifically learned from the field of communications, but I do intend on taking a photography class before I graduate as it will be a furthering continuation of my all ready known knowledge.

Photography is the art of capturing a moment in time in the form of an image, rather than a moving motion picture. Photography in the early days was once completely analog and required film but now the most common form is digital and the use of memory cards / hard-drives capable of holding thousands of images. Photography has a lot of different purposes including art, capturing a moment in time and a way for people to express themselves along with so many other reasons.

Some common obstacles one faces with photography include the quality of the image, what type of equipment to use for a specific task, the message you are trying to convey with your image and so many others. It can be frustrating to know what is right and what is wrong when it comes to photography or any other discipline for that matter.

I was recently commissioned by my best friend to get some college graduation photos of her around her university, with family / friends and with her girlfriend. I have a mirrorless Canon camera with an assortment of lenses and other related equipment. I went into this whole process with a plan which already factored in what equipment I need, the location / weather and how long this whole process was going to take. Although I am not a professional by any means, I was honored that I was able to put in a lot of hard work and effort into something as meaningful as this. I can say that through this task, I learned a lot about myself and the areas I need to improve upon.

When looking at solutions to these common obstacles, it is important to look at each of these areas one step at a time. Quality of your image is determined by many factors including resolution / the number of megapixels, the type of lens you use on your camera, if you are using zoom or if you are physically getting closer to your subject and many other factors. When it comes down to it, you need to assess what type of photography you are doing whether it is the basic use of a polaroid camera to take silly pictures with your friends or using a full-frame DSLR to capture an image that will be used for a company’s new advertising campaign. You need to assess the situation and have a plan of what you are trying to accomplish with your photography on that very day; whether it is knowing what camera / lenses to bring, factoring in the weather and the location, or even just knowing what all you want to capture. Another major thing to remember with photography especially the digital medium is that you can edit the content you captured in post-production, which is after you have captured your footage for the day and moving onto the next step in the process. A lot of the photography you see in life has had some sort of editing / enhancement done to it to compliment the original version. It is important to always keep the original goal in mind while editing to stay determined and focused throughout the whole project.

All in all, photography can be a fun hobby, a career or something you do on the side for the heck of it! The important thing to remember is that everyone starts somewhere and to not be afraid to make mistakes. I am still learning, and I have been interested in photography for years.

What is your favorite aspect of photography? When did you learn about photography? Would you ever consider a career in photography? Let me know, I would love to hear your feedback!

Have a great night,

-Hunter