Making Presentations with Media

Hey guys, we made it to Friday! I am looking forward to this weekend because I am taking a trip with my family to the Finger Lakes in upstate NY for some hiking and wine tasting. Today I would like to talk about a skill that I recently learned more about through a class offered at IUP called Making Presentations with Media. What I would like to discuss is how utilizing media and other forms of technology while presenting can be extremely beneficial to the quality of presentation you give and allow your audience to visualize the content you are presenting in a better way.

When looking at presentations, there are a myriad of reasons why someone would need to present something. The sole purpose is for you to be able to relay information that you know and share it with others that want to learn about your topic. For example, I have been exposed to presenting information from a young age in many different ways including middle school science projects, my high school senior project, a creative writing poetry book and many other ways. Looking at my college career, I have had to present similar projects to my instructors and classmates. The main difference between K-12 and higher education is that there is more to be expected of you. A lot of planning and preparation is involved to enable you to give a great presentation!

The issue with presentations in general is that many people do not plan enough for them. I recommend having a written plan that goes over everything that you would like to discuss. The next major focus is how you plan on presenting the information. If it is an in person presentation, you will most likely be talking and having some form of a visual aid in the form of a PowerPoint presentation or a video that is utilized to help your audience understand what it is you are trying to convey to them. A huge takeaway that I learned from the making presentations with media class is to not let the visual aid / media be the star of the show, rather you are the main focus. With that being said, your visual aid is there to simply compliment your work and have your idea be presented in one amazing package!

My advice when it comes to giving presentations is to really know what you are presenting about, have a well thought out plan with a form of media to help enhance your presentation and practice a lot. It helps when you present in front of a friend or whenever you are able to video record your presentation and play it back to see what you did great and what still needs improved upon. With taking all of these things into consideration, you will eventually master the skill of presentation and look at it as something you can do with confidence, not fear!

What are your thoughts when it comes to presenting? Do you like presenting or do you think it is challenging? Do you think using media / visual aids are beneficial or do you think they are distracting? Feel free to comment down below and share your thoughts!

Have a great weekend,

-Hunter