Copyright Problems For Graphic Designers

My next topic will be copyright. Copyright is when your company gives exclusive legal right, to print, publish, or perform your products. I am addressing this because it is extremely important to make sure that you are obtaining copyright if you are not using your own material.  This interested me too because I have seen plenty of lawsuits from people using other people’s products without their approval.

The problem involved with copyright, is if companies are sharing their work publicly to gain clients, there are people who can take your product and use it for their own. Graphic designers are specifically the victims of this. Up and coming designers could share some of their work so that they can gain some exposure and end up getting their creation stolen.

A solution for this would be to add a watermark to your creation before you post it so that your name is always visible on it. This will prevent your work from getting used without your consent. Another solution would be to use the sources available online to you so that you can learn more about copyright and how to not become a victim of it. Another thing you can do is simply get your work copyrighted by sending an application to the U.S Copyright office.

My opinion on this matter is that before you begin sharing your products online, to at least watermark your product so that there will be no way of someone to steal it. I believe that there are people online all the time looking to steal from original content creators, so you need to be wary when you post online. My friend was a victim of this. He was making beats online and just posting instrumentals onto his social media page, and someone took his beat and made a song on it and it even got popular within my city. He tried to act, and he couldn’t because he did not trademark his beat.

My question to the audience is have you or a friend of yours become of victim of someone taking what you created? Did you try and take legal action? Please feel free to comment below, and I will be looking forward to reading your replies! Also please like and subscribe to my blog!