A Picture’s Worth a Thousand Words

The paint on this glass is outside the outline, as mentioned (JunkyardGenes).

This post addresses the problems that occur while the paint is being applied to collectible glassware (not to be confused with errors). This specifically decreases the value of glasses. It includes the character’s colors being moved outside of the black outline, splotches of paint covering a character, or grainy texture to the paint.  This is frustrating when finding a glass that you haven’t seen before. It could look flawless: vibrant, inside the lines, no discoloring. But after turning it to the other side, the character is wiped out with bumpy white paint. One example would be the Slow Poke Rodriguez glass to the right that has coloring printed outside of the outlines.

This problem has the worst obstacle of all because when finding one you want has a bad paint job, there’s nothing you can do about it. I had that happen to me once. It was Looney Tunes, but instead of a single character, it depicted a scene. Granny had hit Sylvester with an umbrella for going after Tweety, while Sylvester Jr. watched from a distance. When looking at Sylvester Jr., I could just see half of his head and one or two paws. The rest of him was covered in white paint that looked like it was about to chip off.

The possible solutions are the same, buy it or pass it up. However, it will vary with the scenario and on your judgment. If a character is just slightly out of its outline, you could buy it if you really wanted it. If it is halfway out of the lines, then I would say to pass on it. Trust your judgment.

This is my Beaky Buzzard glass. Notice how the paint of his head and neck are moved slightly to the right.

What I recommend is similar to the last paragraph, evaluate the scenario and use your judgment. The Sylvester Jr. glass I mentioned earlier, I passed on it and have never seen another one yet, except on eBay for $30 in good condition, which is out of the range that I’m willing to spend for that glass right now. I did buy one with Beaky Buzzard where his head and neck are a hair outside the outline. I made the judgment call where that one small detail wouldn’t affect the resale value. Like I said before, just trust your gut feeling.

What solution would you recommend for this problem? You can type your answers below in the comments section by clicking on “Leave a reply.”

Don’t forget to like, share, and subscribe to this blog to stay up-to-date.

What glass collecting problems do you want to be solved or discussed? You can post your questions below and I may answer it in my next blog post!