If you missed out on the 3 on 3 tournament, don’t worry, there’s still ways you can contribute! to donate to the SeriousFun Children’s Network please follow this link and see their instructions about how to donate . Stay tuned for our 2nd annual 3 on 3 tournament next year!
By now I’m sure you’ve heard about this monumental trade that just went down. The 76ers have agreed to trade Dario Saric and Robert Covington to the Timberwolves to get the all star who is Jimmy Butler. Even though after this season is finished Butler will be an unsigned free agent, the 76ers have been looking for another star player to create a “big 3” for their team which would include Butler, Joel Embiid, and Ben Simmons. Both Embiid and Simmons have been putting up incredible numbers this season, and Butler will only help to keep the streak going. Embiid alone is on his way to having an MVP season. Butler is currently averaging 21.3 points, 5.2 rebounds and 4.3 assists while shooting 37.8 percent of his shots from the three point range.
if you have a second watch the video below and don’t forget to share it with your friends! Even if we can get one more person to come out then the video has done its job!
One important thing to remember while playing basketball is that it is a contact sport, which means injuries will happen. However, the best way to not get injured during a contact sport is to prevent it from happening. This can be done in many ways, including having the right equipment, knowing the correct rules, etc. Let’s take a look at some of the best ways to prevent injury with some help from kidshealth.org.
- Sneakers: This should go without saying, but make sure you have the correct kind of sneaker for the type of court you are playing on. Make sure they are the right size, have a no-skid sole, and are tied at all times.
- Eyewear: For those of you who wear glasses it is highly recommended that you wear some kind of shatterproof plastic eye protection over your glasses.
- Mouthguard (optional): Not always required, but if you want to have the best protection against teeth and mouth injuries this is the best way to go about it.
- Rules: Be sure you are knowledgable about the rules of basketball and how to play. Lack of knowledge about the rules can lead to players hurting each other because of negligence.
- Stay alert: Basketball is a fast paced game. The ball moves around from player to player quickly and it is easy to lose track of where your teammates are in proximity to you. Be aware of your surroundings to avoid crashing into anyone.
- Take breaks: Fatigue and dehydration are a big factor in basketball. Some players like to give it their all and try to fight through whatever pain or fatigue they are feeling; Don’t. Take water breaks and make sure you are properly hydrated before you start playing.
Much of this is common knowledge to many people, but you would be surprised how many people don’t think about these kinds of things. Let’s make this tournament as safe as possible for everyone!
Information used from https://kidshealth.org/en/teens/safety-basketball.html
With a little less than 2 weeks until the big tournament, I’m sure some of you are trying to step your game up so you have the best chance of winning. 3 on 3 basketball is a little bit different than playing a normal pick-up game. Both teams are down 2 players so that limits the amount of plays that are possible. However, this does make it easier to set plays up because there are less people in the way on the court. Check out this great video from Basketball Coach Allen on Youtube about some of the best and most effective 3 on 3 basketball plays. Hope to see some of these plays in the tournament!
Come one, come all to Phi Kappa Tau’s 3 on 3 basketball tournament to help support the SeriousFun Network! SeriousFun Network is an organization set up to help raise money for sick children to go to fun summer camps. These kids never got the chance to really be a kid, so the organizations goal is to help them experience that and forget about their current situation.
Phi Kappa Tau has worked with SeriousFun Network since 1995 when one of our older members joined up with the organization. Every year Phi Kappa Tau chapters all over the country raise over $100,000 with events like this one.