Run DMC and Aerosmith, “Walk This Way.”

One thing that stuck out to me in our lecture, was the mashup between Aerosmith and Run DMC. It was interesting to hear a mixture of metal and rap. I think this was a huge publicity stunt for both of the bands. Aerosmith died out, but whenever they made this mashup, it made them blow up. Plus, Run DMC was just new coming out, so being featured with an old time band was huge for this group. It both aspects it helped them grow and become famous. Back then, the idea of mixing a rap song and a metal song was mind boggling, which is relatable to present day.

Currently, the United State’s mind is blown with Lil Nas X, “Old Town Road, ” especially the remix with Billy Ray Cyrus. The thought of mixing a rap song and a country song is satisfying and at the same time, unsettling. The lyrics, “Ridin’ on a tractor. Lean all in my bladder. Cheated on my baby. You can go and ask her. My life is a movie. Bull ridin’ and boobies. Cowboy hat from Gucci. Wrangler on my booty,” do not make sense with a country theme. You don’t really think of a cowboy drinking lean, or cheating on his girl (and if he did, he is gonna write about how upset he is that she left and how he regrets it.)

That possibly bridged the gap between white and black audiences. When watching the video of the mashup, I could not help but notice the audience, which was predominantly white,  in the background whenever Run DMC came out. The  crowd was going crazy for them, even after they “crashed” Aerosmith’s concert.