The Walkman: Technological Advances in Music

Technology has changed music in many ways. You could go back all the way to the invention of guitars or any musical instrument. I believed what piece of technology that really changed music, was the Walkman. The fact that you could take your favorite music around with you and listen to them on your own, really isolating yourself from the world in a way, blew the minds of many. Some discouraged the idea, as like any new idea or product, because they could not understand why anybody would want a tape player that would not record, but once they were marketed, they were a huge hit. From that point on, the way we listen to music changed drastically. After the Walkman, we got the portable cd player, which hit home for me. I got one of those as a kid and I loved it. I would listen to my kids bop cd’s and my “Jojo” cd’s in it. I remember getting so upset because anytime you were listening to it the car, and you hit a bump, the cd would skip and most of the time you would have to turn it off and turn it back on again. After the portable cd player, we had mp3 players, and let’s not lie we all ended up using Limewire to illegally download music even though it gave the computer lots and lots of viruses. After the mp3 player, we got Ipods, which then inevitably gave us the Iphone, which many people have. If it was not for the invention of the Walkman, a music device, around the late 1970’s, we probably would not have the phones we do today.